RubyGems problems

Matt T.

I seem to be having problems using RubyGems to install Rails on my
Windows XP machine. I'm using a fresh install of Windows and a fresh
install of Ruby from the 1.8.2-15 one-click installer.

Specifically, my problem is that when executing "gem i rails
--include-dependencies", RubyGems hangs at "Updating Gem source index
for: http://gems.rubyforge.org" and never moves on. Watching the
network with Ethereal, I see some weird stuff going: First everything
is OK, but near the end of the connection I just get an endless, slow
stream of keep-alives. I isolated the pertinent stream and dumped it
here (libpcap format): http://overblown.net/rubygems_problem.dump

I'm behind a NAT gateway (hence why my IP is 192.168.1.100 in the above
dump) but I don't have any other problems on the network/internet
beside this RubyGems one. What's causing this and how can I fix it?

Holgi

Did you try to set the http-proxy-option in the gem.bat-script? We had
a similiar problem here and "gem i rails --include-dependencies
--http-proxy <fill in your proxy here>" solved it.

Matt T.

I don't use a proxy. It's a transparent NAT gateway, so it
(theoretically, at least) should work right out of the box. I'm baffled
to what might be wrong.