    Rob

    http://robsanheim.com
    http://thinkrelevance.com
    Rob Sanheim, Dec 5, 2007

  2. > Could someone please explain the difference between a release, a
    > package, and a group when releasing gems to rubyforge (via
    > rubyforge/hoe)?
    >
    > What is the convention for a gem in rubyforge when its the 'only'
    > thing in that project?

    My hackariffic guesstimate is, I just released the gem file and that
    was that. But then again this was just a test release, to see if I
    could get the release process working, and I only used Hoe for setting
    up the initial dirs etc.

    --
    Giles Bowkett

    Blog: http://gilesbowkett.blogspot.com
    Portfolio: http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
    Tumblelog: http://giles.tumblr.com
    Giles Bowkett, Dec 5, 2007

  3. On Thu, Dec 06, 2007, Rob Sanheim wrote:
    > Could someone please explain the difference between a release, a
    > package, and a group when releasing gems to rubyforge (via
    > rubyforge/hoe)?

    IIRC, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong:

    * group: the project name
    * package: the "subproject" in that group
    * release: the actual release that the files go into

    This is best illustrated with an example:

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/laika

    The group is "laika", and there are two packages, athenaeum and linen.
    If you click the download link for Linen, you'll see that there are a
    number of releases, each of which has 3 files.

    > What is the convention for a gem in rubyforge when its the 'only'
    > thing in that project?

    Call the package the same as the group.

    Ben
    Ben Bleything, Dec 5, 2007