rubygems undefined method 'loaded_from=' for nil::NilClass

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Petrucci Fabio, Jul 13, 2004.

  1. Hi all,
    I've got ruby 1.8.1 running on arm platform with no problems and to save space i decided to organize external library using rubygems.
    First of all i've installed rubygems 0.7.0 then i've started to install other library using the gem command line:
    # gem -i log4r-1.0.5.gem
    # gem -i sws-0.3.gem

    Everything installed succesfully but

    any command i issue to test the installed package, i get this error:

    # gem list
    *** LOCAL GEMS ***
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
    undefined method 'loaded_from=' for nil::NilClass

    # gem check --alien
    Performing the 'alien' operation
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
    undefined method 'loaded_from=' for nil::NilClass

    # gem uninstall sws
    Attempting to uninstall gem 'sws'
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
    undefined method 'loaded_from=' for nil::NilClass

    even worse, gems library (log4r, sws ...) that use 'require_gem' within their own script produce this error.

    Is it a bug???

    anyone know how to solve it?.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    thanks.

    biospank.
    Petrucci Fabio, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Petrucci Fabio

    Jim Weirich Guest

    Petrucci Fabio said:
    > I've got ruby 1.8.1 running on arm platform with no problems and to save
    > space i decided to organize external library using rubygems.
    > First of all i've installed rubygems 0.7.0 then i've started to install
    > other library using the gem command line:
    > # gem -i log4r-1.0.5.gem
    > # gem -i sws-0.3.gem

    Did you /really/ use a -i? RubyGems 0.7.0 doesn't allow that option
    anymore. It should have been ...

    # gem install log4r-1.0.5.gem

    If you did use a -i, then we might have conflicting versions of gem loaded

    > Everything installed succesfully but
    >
    > any command i issue to test the installed package, i get this error:
    >
    > # gem list
    > *** LOCAL GEMS ***
    > ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
    > undefined method 'loaded_from=' for nil::NilClass

    Try this with the --traceback option. This will give us a stack dump. E.g.

    gem list --traceback

    Thanks.

    --
    -- Jim Weirich http://onestepback.org