Rubygems - uninitialized constant

Tom Cloyd

With a fresh install of Rubygems, when I issue a "gem -h" command, the
result is:

/usr/bin/gem:23: uninitialized constant Gem::GemRunner (NameError)

Background:

With a fresh installation of Kubuntu 8.04.1 Linux, I installed ruby 1.8
with "apt-get...", and then installed rubygems 1.8 from the tar file at
rubyforge. There were problems, so I figured the rubygems install done
that way was a bad idea. Basically, I was getting an odd message when
trying to install the webby gem. Three other gems did install without
error, including sequel.

So, I reinstalled ruby 1.8, and rubygems from the Adept package manager,
at which point I got the unexpected problem above.

I don't know what's wrong or how to get a good install of rubygems, at
this point. All suggests greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Cloyd

Tom said:
[...]

Thanks to a kind soul on the Webby list (there's NEVER anyone there this
time of night - but Doug Livesey was, tonight - tks Doug!) I now have
the fix on this -

http://ericbeland.com/2007/12/20/uninitialized-constant-gem-gemrunner

/usr/bin/gem simply needs the following line inserted into it.

require 'rubygems/gem_runner'

Now things work.

I hope this gets fix by someone, if such a response is needed.
Apparently its happened to other people.

t.

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< (e-mail address removed) >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website & psychotherapy weblog)
<< sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)

Eric Hodel

Thanks to a kind soul on the Webby list (there's NEVER anyone there
this time of night - but Doug Livesey was, tonight - tks Doug!) I
now have the fix on this -

http://ericbeland.com/2007/12/20/uninitialized-constant-gem-gemrunner

/usr/bin/gem simply needs the following line inserted into it.

require 'rubygems/gem_runner'

Now things work.

I hope this gets fix by someone, if such a response is needed.
Apparently its happened to other people.

No, this is wrong.

You have an old `gem` lying around. Recent RubyGems releases install
gem to match your ruby binary's name, which is usually symlinked from
something like `ruby1.8` to `ruby` (thus, `gem1.8`). Delete `gem` and
symlink it appropriately. When you installed RubyGems the last thing
it printed was where it installed the gem executable.