    useful stuff there, I think if we get it going it has good potential,
    bye for now :)

    Paul

    PG, Jan 3, 2006

  2. PG

    Guest

    On Tuesday 03 January 2006 05:23 pm, PG wrote:
    > hi guys - I read some of the posts here & wanted to point out that
    > rubyforums.co.uk has just 'opened its doors' so to speak - anways
    > figured we could all use the best ruby communities possible so wanted to
    > let you know there are some cool resources there for anyone interested,
    > it's new remember so there arent loads of posts - but I picked up some
    > useful stuff there, I think if we get it going it has good potential,
    > bye for now :)
    >
    > Paul

    Okay, but its using forum software made in php. :) The true ruby elitists will
    have problems using the forum for religious reasons.

    Tsume

    , Jan 3, 2006

  3. On 1/3/06, Christian Neukirchen <> wrote:

    > Ruby is no religion.

    Heretic!!! Recant!!!

    </kidding>

    As long as it works and I don't have to maintain it, I don't really
    care what language an application is written in. I suspect most people
    are like me.

    Ryan

    Ryan Leavengood, Jan 3, 2006
  4. PG

    Guest

    Hi --

    On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, wrote:

    > On Tuesday 03 January 2006 05:23 pm, PG wrote:
    >> hi guys - I read some of the posts here & wanted to point out that
    >> rubyforums.co.uk has just 'opened its doors' so to speak - anways
    >> figured we could all use the best ruby communities possible so wanted to
    >> let you know there are some cool resources there for anyone interested,
    >> it's new remember so there arent loads of posts - but I picked up some
    >> useful stuff there, I think if we get it going it has good potential,
    >> bye for now :)
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Okay, but its using forum software made in php. :) The true ruby elitists will
    > have problems using the forum for religious reasons.

    I'm happy to say I don't know any true Ruby elitists.

    David

    --
    David A. Black

    http://www.manning.com/books/black

    , Jan 3, 2006
  5. PG

    James Britt Guest

    Christian Neukirchen wrote:
    > writes:
    >

    >>On Tuesday 03 January 2006 05:23 pm, PG wrote:
    >>
    >>>hi guys - I read some of the posts here & wanted to point out that
    >>>rubyforums.co.uk has just 'opened its doors' so to speak - anways
    >>>figured we could all use the best ruby communities possible so wanted to
    >>>let you know there are some cool resources there for anyone interested,
    >>>it's new remember so there arent loads of posts - but I picked up some
    >>>useful stuff there, I think if we get it going it has good potential,
    >>>bye for now :)
    >>>
    >>>Paul

    >>Okay, but its using forum software made in php. :) The true ruby elitists will
    >>have problems using the forum for religious reasons.

    > Ruby is no religion.

    Alas.

    I keep hoping it will turn into a cult or a super-secret society,
    perhaps a mythical, creeping swarm of hookah-smoking code ninjas, or
    _something_, but then people on this list go and ruin it by being open
    and inviting and helpful to one and all.

    Spoil sports.

    James

    http://www.30secondrule.com - Building Better Tools

    James Britt, Jan 3, 2006
  6. wrote:
    > I'm happy to say I don't know any true Ruby elitists.

    Whatever, dude. That's because we're too cool to hang out with you.

    f.

    Francis Hwang, Jan 3, 2006
  7. PG

    Todd Guest

    James Britt wrote:

    > > Ruby is no religion.

    > Alas.
    >
    > I keep hoping it will turn into a cult or a super-secret society,
    > perhaps a mythical, creeping swarm of hookah-smoking code ninjas, or
    > _something_, but then people on this list go and ruin it by

    _This_ is exactly what cults do (or pretend to do) and not secret
    societies:

    > being open and inviting and helpful to one and all.
    >
    > Spoil sports.
    >

    > James

    Ruby does happen to be the biggest grassroots movement I've seen since
    Mr. Linus Torvalds humbly introduced a new OS a while back. I suppose
    there are similar other examples, but for this one ... well, I'm in.

    As for ninjas, well, do your research.

    Todd

    Todd, Jan 3, 2006
  8. PG

    Ross Bamford Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:39:13 -0000, <> wrote:

    > I'm happy to say I don't know any true Ruby elitists.

    In my humble, and possibly controversial opinion, I'd suggest it could be
    about the fact that the Ruby community seems to have a greater density of
    hackers than many others, so it's more common for Rubyists to know (and
    even love) several languages than with, say, Perl or Python, where a
    greater proportion of the community is probably mostly monolingual.

    --
    Ross Bamford -

    Ross Bamford, Jan 3, 2006
  9. PG

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Francis Hwang wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm happy to say I don't know any true Ruby elitists.

    > Whatever, dude. That's because we're too cool to hang out with you.

    LOL.

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Jan 3, 2006
  10. PG

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 02:42:57AM +0900, Ross Bamford wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:39:13 -0000, <> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm happy to say I don't know any true Ruby elitists.

    > In my humble, and possibly controversial opinion, I'd suggest it could be
    > about the fact that the Ruby community seems to have a greater density of
    > hackers than many others, so it's more common for Rubyists to know (and
    > even love) several languages than with, say, Perl or Python, where a
    > greater proportion of the community is probably mostly monolingual.

    It'd be especially controversial if the sort of non-hacker that doesn't
    know the classic definition of "hacker" saw that.

    "A script is what you give the actors. A program
    is what you give the audience." - Larry Wall

    Chad Perrin, Jan 3, 2006
  11. PG

    James Britt Guest

    Chad Perrin wrote:
    > On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 02:42:57AM +0900, Ross Bamford wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:39:13 -0000, <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm happy to say I don't know any true Ruby elitists.

    >>In my humble, and possibly controversial opinion, I'd suggest it could be
    >>about the fact that the Ruby community seems to have a greater density of
    >>hackers than many others, so it's more common for Rubyists to know (and
    >>even love) several languages than with, say, Perl or Python, where a
    >>greater proportion of the community is probably mostly monolingual.

    > It'd be especially controversial if the sort of non-hacker that doesn't
    > know the classic definition of "hacker" saw that.

    LOL!1!!

    +2

    u r teh 1337 42x0r!

    rub'/ pwn5 j00r (0D3 !!1!

    j4/\/\35

    James Britt, Jan 3, 2006
  12. PG

    Ross Bamford Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:50:35 -0000, Chad Perrin <>
    wrote:

    > On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 02:42:57AM +0900, Ross Bamford wrote:
    >> On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:39:13 -0000, <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm happy to say I don't know any true Ruby elitists.

    >> In my humble, and possibly controversial opinion, I'd suggest it could
    >> be
    >> about the fact that the Ruby community seems to have a greater density
    >> of
    >> hackers than many others, so it's more common for Rubyists to know (and
    >> even love) several languages than with, say, Perl or Python, where a
    >> greater proportion of the community is probably mostly monolingual.

    > It'd be especially controversial if the sort of non-hacker that doesn't
    > know the classic definition of "hacker" saw that.

    Heh, didn't think of that, I just had visions of the flames I'd probably
    get from that were this a different newsgroup :) For the sake of the
    record, let me just say that I'm not insinuating anything at all about the
    lawfulness (or otherwise) of most Rubyist's activities :D

    --
    Ross Bamford -

    Ross Bamford, Jan 3, 2006
  13. PG

    Harpo Guest

    Ross Bamford wrote:

    > On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:39:13 -0000, <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm happy to say I don't know any true Ruby elitists.

    > In my humble, and possibly controversial opinion, I'd suggest it could
    > be about the fact that the Ruby community seems to have a greater
    > density of hackers than many others, so it's more common for Rubyists
    > to know (and even love) several languages than with, say, Perl or
    > Python, where a greater proportion of the community is probably mostly
    > monolingual.

    Your opinion is controversial and it is one of its quality.
    I don't feel to belong to a Ruby community, Ruby is just the language I
    love the best for now, I'm also a Ruby newbie and I don't know much
    many other languages.
    Maybe hackers may like Ruby because it let you write simple things
    easily and less simple things too, in some other languages, the
    complexness (??) is due to the language constructs and other
    limitations, not to the problem to solve.

    I don't know whether there is a 'true' definition of what is a hacker or
    not, I think he is someone who, when he, by chance, have some problem
    to solve, spend a a week apparently doing nothing, then writes 100
    lines in an hour instead of writing in a week thousands lines of
    unreadable code. Maybe hacking is spending time looking at problems
    with an unusual sight, not searching for the usual pattern to apply.

    At a language level, Ruby seems to provide very good stuff.

    --
    I do apologize for my bad English.

    Harpo, Jan 3, 2006

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html