Rubyhelp wanted /offered

PG

hi guys - I read some of the posts here & wanted to point out that
rubyforums.co.uk has just 'opened its doors' so to speak - anways
figured we could all use the best ruby communities possible so wanted to
let you know there are some cool resources there for anyone interested,
it's new remember so there arent loads of posts - but I picked up some
useful stuff there, I think if we get it going it has good potential,
bye for now :)

Paul

tsumeruby

hi guys - I read some of the posts here & wanted to point out that
rubyforums.co.uk has just 'opened its doors' so to speak - anways
figured we could all use the best ruby communities possible so wanted to
let you know there are some cool resources there for anyone interested,
it's new remember so there arent loads of posts - but I picked up some
useful stuff there, I think if we get it going it has good potential,
bye for now :)

Paul

Okay, but its using forum software made in php. :) The true ruby elitists will
have problems using the forum for religious reasons.

Tsume

Ryan Leavengood

Ruby is no religion.

Heretic!!! Recant!!!

</kidding>

As long as it works and I don't have to maintain it, I don't really
care what language an application is written in. I suspect most people
are like me.

Ryan

dblack

Hi --

Okay, but its using forum software made in php. :) The true ruby elitists will
have problems using the forum for religious reasons.

I'm happy to say I don't know any true Ruby elitists.

David

--
David A. Black
(e-mail address removed)

http://www.manning.com/books/black

James Britt

Christian said:
Ruby is no religion.

Alas.

I keep hoping it will turn into a cult or a super-secret society,
perhaps a mythical, creeping swarm of hookah-smoking code ninjas, or
_something_, but then people on this list go and ruin it by being open
and inviting and helpful to one and all.

Spoil sports.

James

http://www.30secondrule.com - Building Better Tools

Todd

James said:
Alas.

I keep hoping it will turn into a cult or a super-secret society,
perhaps a mythical, creeping swarm of hookah-smoking code ninjas, or
_something_, but then people on this list go and ruin it by

_This_ is exactly what cults do (or pretend to do) and not secret
societies:
being open and inviting and helpful to one and all.

Spoil sports.

James

Ruby does happen to be the biggest grassroots movement I've seen since
Mr. Linus Torvalds humbly introduced a new OS a while back. I suppose
there are similar other examples, but for this one ... well, I'm in.

As for ninjas, well, do your research.

Todd

Ross Bamford

I'm happy to say I don't know any true Ruby elitists.

In my humble, and possibly controversial opinion, I'd suggest it could be
about the fact that the Ruby community seems to have a greater density of
hackers than many others, so it's more common for Rubyists to know (and
even love) several languages than with, say, Perl or Python, where a
greater proportion of the community is probably mostly monolingual.

Chad Perrin

In my humble, and possibly controversial opinion, I'd suggest it could be
about the fact that the Ruby community seems to have a greater density of
hackers than many others, so it's more common for Rubyists to know (and
even love) several languages than with, say, Perl or Python, where a
greater proportion of the community is probably mostly monolingual.

It'd be especially controversial if the sort of non-hacker that doesn't
know the classic definition of "hacker" saw that.

James Britt

Chad said:
It'd be especially controversial if the sort of non-hacker that doesn't
know the classic definition of "hacker" saw that.

LOL!1!!

+2

u r teh 1337 42x0r!

rub'/ pwn5 j00r (0D3 !!1!

j4/\/\35

Ross Bamford

It'd be especially controversial if the sort of non-hacker that doesn't
know the classic definition of "hacker" saw that.

Heh, didn't think of that, I just had visions of the flames I'd probably
get from that were this a different newsgroup :) For the sake of the
record, let me just say that I'm not insinuating anything at all about the
lawfulness (or otherwise) of most Rubyist's activities :D

Harpo

Ross said:
In my humble, and possibly controversial opinion, I'd suggest it could
be about the fact that the Ruby community seems to have a greater
density of hackers than many others, so it's more common for Rubyists
to know (and even love) several languages than with, say, Perl or
Python, where a greater proportion of the community is probably mostly
monolingual.

Your opinion is controversial and it is one of its quality.
I don't feel to belong to a Ruby community, Ruby is just the language I
love the best for now, I'm also a Ruby newbie and I don't know much
many other languages.
Maybe hackers may like Ruby because it let you write simple things
easily and less simple things too, in some other languages, the
complexness (??) is due to the language constructs and other
limitations, not to the problem to solve.

I don't know whether there is a 'true' definition of what is a hacker or
not, I think he is someone who, when he, by chance, have some problem
to solve, spend a a week apparently doing nothing, then writes 100
lines in an hour instead of writing in a week thousands lines of
unreadable code. Maybe hacking is spending time looking at problems
with an unusual sight, not searching for the usual pattern to apply.

At a language level, Ruby seems to provide very good stuff.

Mark Woodward

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html