    Jeremy Tregunna

    "If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be
    the process of putting them in." --Dykstra

    Jeremy Tregunna, Oct 25, 2005

  2. Jeremy Tregunna

    Eric Hodel Guest

    On Oct 25, 2005, at 12:45 AM, Jeremy Tregunna wrote:

    > I'm curious if someone can point me to a technical description of
    > ruby's garbage collector?

    There might be one in the Ruby Hacking Guide (in Japanese). Guy
    Decoux might also be able to describe it for you in French, Ruby or C.

    The short, english description is a conservative mark and sweep
    garbage collector.

    --
    Eric Hodel - - http://segment7.net
    FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

    Eric Hodel, Oct 25, 2005

  3. On 25-Oct-05, at 4:03 AM, Eric Hodel wrote:

    > On Oct 25, 2005, at 12:45 AM, Jeremy Tregunna wrote:
    >
    >> I'm curious if someone can point me to a technical description of
    >> ruby's garbage collector?

    > There might be one in the Ruby Hacking Guide (in Japanese). Guy
    > Decoux might also be able to describe it for you in French, Ruby or C.
    >
    > The short, english description is a conservative mark and sweep
    > garbage collector.

    Yeah, I got that bit, was hoping for something a bit more technical in
    English.

    Jeremy Tregunna, Oct 25, 2005
  4. Hi,

    In message "Re: Ruby's GC"
    on Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:08:29 +0900, Jeremy Tregunna <> writes:

    |> The short, english description is a conservative mark and sweep
    |> garbage collector.
    |
    |Yeah, I got that bit, was hoping for something a bit more technical in
    |English.

    conservative

    we use system stack and CPU registers for tracing root as well as
    usual language roots (global/local variables etc.). jmpbuf is used
    to access registers.

    mark and sweep

    simple mark and sweep, but uses Knuth's algorithm to avoid crash for
    deep recursion.

    matz.

    Yukihiro Matsumoto, Oct 25, 2005
  5. Thank you.

    Jeremy Tregunna, Oct 25, 2005
  6. Jeremy Tregunna wrote:
    > ... was hoping for something a bit more technical in English.

    See <http://www.memorymanagement.org/> for more details on
    GC algorithms. Good site.

    Clifford Heath, Oct 25, 2005