Ruby's GC

Jeremy Tregunna

I'm curious if someone can point me to a technical description of
ruby's garbage collector?

--
Jeremy Tregunna
(e-mail address removed)

"If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be
the process of putting them in." --Dykstra

Eric Hodel

I'm curious if someone can point me to a technical description of
ruby's garbage collector?

There might be one in the Ruby Hacking Guide (in Japanese). Guy
Decoux might also be able to describe it for you in French, Ruby or C.

The short, english description is a conservative mark and sweep
garbage collector.

Jeremy Tregunna

There might be one in the Ruby Hacking Guide (in Japanese). Guy
Decoux might also be able to describe it for you in French, Ruby or C.

The short, english description is a conservative mark and sweep
garbage collector.

Yeah, I got that bit, was hoping for something a bit more technical in
English.
Eric Hodel - (e-mail address removed) - http://segment7.net

--
Jeremy Tregunna
(e-mail address removed)

"If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be
the process of putting them in." --Dykstra

Yukihiro Matsumoto

Hi,

In message "Re: Ruby's GC"

|> The short, english description is a conservative mark and sweep
|> garbage collector.
|
|Yeah, I got that bit, was hoping for something a bit more technical in
|English.

conservative

we use system stack and CPU registers for tracing root as well as
usual language roots (global/local variables etc.). jmpbuf is used
to access registers.

mark and sweep

simple mark and sweep, but uses Knuth's algorithm to avoid crash for
deep recursion.

matz.

Jeremy Tregunna

Thank you.

Hi,

In message "Re: Ruby's GC"
on Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:08:29 +0900, Jeremy Tregunna

|> The short, english description is a conservative mark and sweep
|> garbage collector.
|
|Yeah, I got that bit, was hoping for something a bit more technical in
|English.

conservative

we use system stack and CPU registers for tracing root as well as
usual language roots (global/local variables etc.). jmpbuf is used
to access registers.

mark and sweep

simple mark and sweep, but uses Knuth's algorithm to avoid crash for
deep recursion.

matz.

!DSPAM:435deb17770951295719451!