Rubys License

cypher.dp

Hello everybody !

I was just looking up something on the OSI website when I saw that the
Ruby license isn't listed there. Because I was wondering about that I
had a look at the license:

You can redistribute it and/or modify it under either the terms of the GPL
(see COPYING.txt file), or the conditions below

Q: Is Ruby know under the GPLv2 or GPLv3 ?

Kind regards

Dominik

Gregory Brown

Hello everybody !

I was just looking up something on the OSI website when I saw that the
Ruby license isn't listed there. Because I was wondering about that I
had a look at the license:

You can redistribute it and/or modify it under either the terms of the GPL
(see COPYING.txt file), or the conditions below

Q: Is Ruby know under the GPLv2 or GPLv3 ?

Ruby is disjunctively licensed between Matz's Terms and the GPLV2:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/LICENSE.txt

The only reason it's not listed on the OSI site is (AFAIK) no one has
sought their official approval.

However, a while ago I talked with the FSF to get their approval, and
I'm not sure if others did as well, but at any rate, it is listed as a
GPL compatible Free Software license due to the explicit dual
licensing with the GPL.

http://www.fsf.org/licensing

For this reason, I *assume* that means that it meets the OSI
definition as well, but I don't much pay attention to them. ;)

But in short, Ruby is Free and Open Source software...

-greg

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists

Ruby is disjunctively licensed between Matz's Terms and the GPLV2:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/LICENSE.txt

The only reason it's not listed on the OSI site is (AFAIK) no one has
sought their official approval.

However, a while ago I talked with the FSF to get their approval, and
I'm not sure if others did as well, but at any rate, it is listed as a
GPL compatible Free Software license due to the explicit dual
licensing with the GPL.

http://www.fsf.org/licensing

For this reason, I *assume* that means that it meets the OSI
definition as well, but I don't much pay attention to them. ;)

But in short, Ruby is Free and Open Source software...

It meets the DFSG too, which are pretty strict, otherwise it wouldn't be
in Debian proper.
*t

Chad Perrin

Ruby is disjunctively licensed between Matz's Terms and the GPLV2:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/LICENSE.txt

The only reason it's not listed on the OSI site is (AFAIK) no one has
sought their official approval.

There are costs associated with OSI approval. It is, thus, probably in
part the matter of money that has prevented the Ruby license from being
listed there.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Gregory Brown

Hmm, seems to depend on the Ruby version.
Recent Ruby versions state GPL 2, License on ruby-talk doesn't.

Right, I brought this up maybe a year ago and Matz decided to lock it
to GPLv2 (which is a smart move, as the 'or any later version' clause
is viral)

He said he was considering moving to GPL3 when it became finalized.
I've not asked what he thinks, and honestly haven't decided what I
think about GPL 3 :)