    is 1.8.6 dated back to about 2007 December...

    Does anyone know why no one made a 1-Click installer for Ruby 1.8.7 or
    1.9? Is it that Ruby is used mostly by people using the Mac or Linux?
    Jian Lin, May 9, 2009

  2. Jian Lin

    Robert Dober Guest

    On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Jian Lin <> wrote:
    > Ruby's Windows One Click Installer is 16 months old... seems like, which
    > is 1.8.6 dated back to about 2007 December...

    That calls for a celebration!

    --=20
    Si tu veux construire un bateau ...
    Ne rassemble pas des hommes pour aller chercher du bois, pr=E9parer des
    outils, r=E9partir les t=E2ches, all=E9ger le travail=85 mais enseigne aux
    gens la nostalgie de l=92infini de la mer.

    If you want to build a ship, don=92t herd people together to collect
    wood and don=92t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to
    long for the endless immensity of the sea.

    --
    Antoine de Saint-Exup=E9ry
    Robert Dober, May 9, 2009

  3. Jian Lin

    Roger Pack Guest

    > Does anyone know why no one made a 1-Click installer for Ruby 1.8.7 or
    > 1.9? Is it that Ruby is used mostly by people using the Mac or Linux?

    I believe the one click guy(s) didn't want to have to deal with binary
    incompatibilities for 1.8.6 AND 1.8.7 , as well as didn't want to force
    gem publishers to dual release binary extensions. Plus there were some
    other oddities with 1.8.7 that made them leery of it.

    Re: mostly used by Linux/mac...you got it. You can't even *run* the
    test suite of 1.9.0p0 on windows. That's right--it hangs midtest.
    Charlie Savage has been trying to help it come up to specs and...at
    least run :) And the core developers are happy to accept (good)
    patches, but it's definitely not their highest priority.

    That being said, I use 1.9 on windows and it works well and faster (for
    everything except EventMachine, which is broken, and some other gems
    that aren't yet 1.9 compat, since almost everyone still uses 1.8.6, so
    windows specific gems are a tidge behind).

    If you're interested in trying out later builds you could try a mingw
    distro[1].
    Good luck!
    -=r
    [1]
    http://programming-gone-awry.blogspot.com/2009/05/ruby-19-one-click-installer.html
    Roger Pack, May 9, 2009
  4. Jian Lin

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On May 9, 3:52 am, Jian Lin <> wrote:
    > Ruby's Windows One Click Installer is 16 months old... seems like, which
    > is 1.8.6 dated back to about 2007 December...

    Sure it is 16 months?

    Hmn...

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinstaller

    Version
    1.8.6-27 Release Candidate 2

    Date
    November 19, 2008

    Doing math... November to May is 7 months, not to old.

    > Does anyone know why no one made a 1-Click installer for Ruby 1.8.7 or
    > 1.9?  Is it that Ruby is used mostly by people using the Mac or Linux?

    All the answer to your questions here:

    http://blog.mmediasys.com/2009/05/05/rubyinstaller-state-of-one-click/

    --
    Luis Lavena