Run 3rd party app as specified user

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obi5ORVQ=?=, Jul 11, 2006.

  1. Hi,

    I'm writing a web service where one method will launch another .NET program
    under a specified user's account. It launches fine as the NT
    AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE user when I dont specify a username/password for
    the processStartInfo but I am having trouble getting it to work when I
    specify any other username/password pair. I immediately get "The application
    failed to initialize properly (0xC0000142).

    Has anyone ever gotten this to work using Process.Start/ProcessStartInfo?

    Note I do *not* want to impersonate the client nor have any of the other
    code run during the processing of the request run using any credentials other
    than NETWORK SERVICE so I don't think I want any form of impersonation that
    can be configured through web.config, machine.config, etc. I only want the
    third party app I want to launch and get the stderr/stdout streams back from
    to be run in the specified user account.

    Also this fails identically regardless of the setting of "Allow service to
    interact with desktop" for the www service although idealy I would like it to
    work with that not checked. For some strange reason I don't see a desktop
    property on the managed ProcessStartInfo like there is on the unmanages
    startinfo struct...

    Thanks in advance :)

    -john
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obi5ORVQ=?=, Jul 11, 2006