Run a jar file on remote client machine?

SpreadTooThin

I have a jar file that works well on my local machine, and does what I need it to do. This jar file reads a directory of images and manipulates them and stores results in a separate directory.

I want to provide a web page to a client that will allow them to process data on their machine using my jar file and my web site / server.

How do I go about doing that?

John B. Matthews

SpreadTooThin said:
I have a jar file that works well on my local machine, and does
what I need it to do. This jar file reads a directory of images
and manipulates them and stores results in a separate directory.

I want to provide a web page to a client that will allow them to
process data on their machine using my jar file and my web site /
server.

How do I go about doing that?

You can deploy your JAR from your server to a client machine using
Java Web Start: <http://stackoverflow.com/tags/java-web-start/info>

If that's not what you want, I don't understand the question.

SpreadTooThin

Does that run the jar application in a window of the clients browser?
If so then yes that is what I want.

markspace

Does that run the jar application in a window of the clients browser?
If so then yes that is what I want.

With Java Web Start, yes it does run in a window. I believe you'll need
a certificate to sign the app with however.

Roedy Green

I want to provide a web page to a client that will allow them to process data on their machine using my jar file and my web site / server.

How do I go about doing that?

You have to get them to download and install it (perhaps using an
installer) Or you can put some Java WebStart around it, or you can
turn it into a signed or unsigned java Applet.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/applet.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installer.html
Motors make noise, and that tells you about the feelings and attitudes
that went into it. Something was more important than sensory pleasure --
nobody would invent a chair or dish that smelled bad or that made horrible
noises -- why were motors invented noisy? How could they possibly be
considered complete or successful inventions with this glaring defect?
Unless, of course, the aggressive, hostile, assaultive sound actually served
to express some impulse of the owner.
~ Philip Slater (born: 1927 age: 85)
The Wayward Gate: Science and the Supernatural

David Lamb

With Java Web Start, yes it does run in a window. I believe you'll need
a certificate to sign the app with however.

You don't need to sign the app if you're willing to have Java ask for
confirmation before just about anything you do, e.g. to open a file. You
do need to sign if you want all those verification steps to go away.
Most people seem to want their JWS app to run with full permissions to
do anything they want to the client machine.

John B. Matthews

markspace

A signed applet can do more, but I don't think it's _required_:

The OP says the application reads a directory on the local hard drive;
he'll need permission of some sort for that.

markspace

You don't need to sign the app if you're willing to have Java ask for
confirmation before just about anything you do, e.g. to open a file.

I think what you're talking about requires using a special API. If you
use the normal one it just throws an error. I'm assuming he doesn't
want to re-code his app.

Joerg Meier

You don't need to sign the app if you're willing to have Java ask for
confirmation before just about anything you do, e.g. to open a file. You
do need to sign if you want all those verification steps to go away.
Most people seem to want their JWS app to run with full permissions to
do anything they want to the client machine.

To be fair, that is only what every single garden variety program runs with
by default.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

John B. Matthews

markspace said:
The OP says the application reads a directory on the local hard
drive; he'll need permission of some sort for that.

I don't think we know yet if the JAR contains an applet or an
application. A signed applet can access the local filesystem, but an
unsigned application can request <all-permissions/>.

I habitually sign everything to detect tampering.