    and enjoy! Thanks,

    Poly
    www.polystreet.com

    Street, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Street

    Cameron Guest

    Street wrote:

    > While others are still protesting, you can run a web site on your PC, turning
    > it into a PS, that is Personal Server. The cool thing is, if you are in a
    > hurry like most of us, you don't need HTML, FTP, or Web Hosting Companies.
    > 2004 may actually be the end of the PC the way we know it. Be part of the
    > Revolution.
    > http://www.netforall.com/servlets/ShowSite
    > It includes Shopping Carts, Automatic Thumbnail Creation, Multimedia File
    > Processing, Dynamic IP Tracking, Instant tracking of visitors activities on
    > your site. Visitor can change Page Layout and Background at will.
    > All you need is a broadband connection to host web sites for yourself or other
    > small businesses. Very convenient for online photo albums, E-Commerce, etc.
    > You may download it from http://www.netforall.com/downloads.html
    > and enjoy! Thanks,
    >
    > Poly
    > www.polystreet.com

    How VERY VERY scary, let us outline some of the reasons why this may not
    be the best solution.

    1) Most broadband providers are ADSL which has less upstream than
    downstream as such inhibiting the speed at which pages can be served.

    2) Most broadband providers in the UK don't like people running web
    servers and the like, and have used the "Acceptable Use" clause in the
    agreement to enforce this.

    3) On any website security is of prime concern, allowing someone to
    quickly and simply run a server from their own PC is rather dangerous.

    4) You can quite simply get a free dynamic host name and a free web
    server, if someone wants to set up a website they should learn how.

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Street wrote:
    > While others are still protesting, you can run a web site on your PC, turning
    > it into a PS, that is Personal Server. The cool thing is, if you are in a
    > hurry like most of us, you don't need HTML, FTP, or Web Hosting Companies.
    > 2004 may actually be the end of the PC the way we know it. Be part of the
    > Revolution.

    If you are in a hurry like most of us, you do need FTP or Web Hosting
    Companies.

    JustAnotherGuy, Jan 16, 2004
  4. JustAnotherGuy wrote:

    > Street wrote:
    > > While others are still protesting, you can run a web site on your PC, turning
    > > it into a PS, that is Personal Server. The cool thing is, if you are in a
    > > hurry like most of us, you don't need HTML, FTP, or Web Hosting Companies.
    > > 2004 may actually be the end of the PC the way we know it. Be part of the
    > > Revolution.

    > If you are in a hurry like most of us, you do need FTP or Web Hosting
    > Companies.

    One of the minor advantages of using an ISP compared to self-hosting is
    that you do not have to run your PC 24/7 as a dedicated server on a T1
    or T3 or equivalent wireless line.

    The standby diesel generator alone makes self-hosting cost ineffective.

    --
    Many thanks,

    Don Lancaster
    Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
    voice: (928)428-4073 email: fax 847-574-1462

    Don Lancaster, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Street

    Richard Guest

    JustAnotherGuy wrote:

    > Street wrote:
    >> While others are still protesting, you can run a web site on your PC,
    >> turning it into a PS, that is Personal Server. The cool thing is, if
    >>you are in a hurry like most of us, you don't need HTML, FTP, or Web
    >>Hosting Companies. 2004 may actually be the end of the PC the way we know
    >>it. Be part of the Revolution.

    > If you are in a hurry like most of us, you do need FTP or Web Hosting
    > Companies.

    What these "smart ones" don't understand is, a home based website would be a
    downfall in the long run.
    First, you'd have to have an ISP that allowed 24 hour service.
    Then you'd have to leave your site online 24 hours a day which means your
    little old PC is gonna get sick toot sweet.
    Plus the fact, that many of those sites are extremely slow in loading.
    Then you are at the mercy of your cable service provider who is prone to
    failure.
    Oh you're on dialup? Forget it.
    Many ISP's offer free web space so why not take advantage of it and use it?

    Richard, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Toby A Inkster, Jan 16, 2004
  7. Richard wrote:

    > Oh you're on dialup? Forget it.

    I used to run a small server even when I was on dialup. I had a free web
    hosting account that I would upload my current IP address to in a text
    file so that people knew where to find me.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 16, 2004
  8. Street

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:21:12 -0600, "Richard" <anonymous@127.000>
    wrote:

    >What these "smart ones" don't understand is, a home based website would be a
    >downfall in the long run.

    I've been doing it for years.. Granted, not my PRIMARY website, but a
    link right from there. Hosting pictures and such.

    >First, you'd have to have an ISP that allowed 24 hour service.

    24 hour service? I think most ISP's now don't charge per minute. I
    know of very few that do. Ok - you can probably list some, but is it
    that hard to find a ISP that offers unlimited connection?

    >Then you'd have to leave your site online 24 hours a day which means your
    >little old PC is gonna get sick toot sweet.

    My computer has been up 24/7 for going on 5 years. Just got a brand
    new compaq last week, prior to that had the same P3 for 5 years. An
    ISP basically has computers they leave on 24/7 - what's the
    difference?

    >Plus the fact, that many of those sites are extremely slow in loading.

    It all depends on your upstream traffic.

    I have a 1.5/128k connection. Granted, it's not a t-1, but very few
    people have ever complained.

    >Then you are at the mercy of your cable service provider who is prone to
    >failure.

    You assume CABLE. I'm on DSL. Cable is unreliable.

    >Oh you're on dialup? Forget it.

    For text pages, dial up would be fine. Simple HTML, no or small
    graphics? You probably would barely notice.

    >Many ISP's offer free web space so why not take advantage of it and use it?

    I have about 100 megs on my personal computer of images and such. WAY
    over what a ISP provides at a reasonable cost.

    I am NOT endorsing this guys software - there's plenty of stuff out
    there for free that's MUCH better. Apache, for example.

    Evan
    To e-mail me, remove theobvious from my e-mail address.

    Evan Platt, Jan 16, 2004
  9. Quoth the raven named Evan Platt:

    > You assume CABLE. I'm on DSL. Cable is unreliable.

    My cable internet access is very reliable, at 3Mbps. Maybe the cable
    company in your neighborhood needs to do some work. Have you ever
    subscribed?

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 16, 2004
  10. Street

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:42:24 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >My cable internet access is very reliable, at 3Mbps. Maybe the cable
    >company in your neighborhood needs to do some work. Have you ever
    >subscribed?

    Yeah. A few years ago. I know plenty of people here who have cable and
    can't stand it. It's Comcast (ex AT&T) here.
    To e-mail me, remove theobvious from my e-mail address.

    Evan Platt, Jan 16, 2004
  11. Street

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Street wrote:

    > The cool thing is, if you are in a hurry like most of us, you don't need
    > HTML, FTP, or Web Hosting Companies.

    A website without *any* HTML? Impressive; that's something I would like to
    see!

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Now playing: Yes - Endless Dream (a:silent spring b:talk

    Dylan Parry, Jan 16, 2004
  12. Street

    rf Guest

    [massive crosspost snipped]

    "Dylan Parry" <> wrote in message
    > Street wrote:
    >
    > > The cool thing is, if you are in a hurry like most of us, you don't need
    > > HTML, FTP, or Web Hosting Companies.

    > A website without *any* HTML? Impressive; that's something I would like to
    > see!

    It's all in a PDF.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Jan 17, 2004
  13. "Street" <> wrote:

    > While others are still protesting, you can run a web site on your PC,
    > turning it into a PS, that is Personal Server. The cool thing is, if
    > you are in a hurry like most of us, you don't need HTML, FTP, or Web
    > Hosting Companies. 2004 may actually be the end of the PC the way we
    > know it. Be part of the Revolution.
    > http://www.netforall.com/servlets/ShowSite

    You fucking loosers.

    > Poly
    > www.polystreet.com

    LAMP!

    --
    My REAL email address is "gijoe (at) mail dot nu"
    "If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava,

    Peter Karlsson, Jan 17, 2004
  14. Street

    Eric Bustad Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Quoth the raven named Evan Platt:
    >
    >> You assume CABLE. I'm on DSL. Cable is unreliable.

    > My cable internet access is very reliable, at 3Mbps. Maybe the cable
    > company in your neighborhood needs to do some work. Have you ever
    > subscribed?

    My cable internet provider explicitly prohibits using its service to run
    a web server on my PC. OF course, it also prohibits using the service
    "for any business enterprise".

    = Eric

    Eric Bustad, Jan 17, 2004
  15. Street

    Times2 Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Quoth the raven named Evan Platt:
    >
    >> You assume CABLE. I'm on DSL. Cable is unreliable.

    > My cable internet access is very reliable, at 3Mbps. Maybe the cable
    > company in your neighborhood needs to do some work. Have you ever
    > subscribed?

    My cable at my home is 3 mbps down and 768 up. Around here, you get what you
    pay for. My uptime is actually more reliable than my t1 at my shop

    Times2, Jan 17, 2004
  16. Street

    Times2 Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:42:24 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> My cable internet access is very reliable, at 3Mbps. Maybe the cable
    >> company in your neighborhood needs to do some work. Have you ever
    >> subscribed?

    > Yeah. A few years ago. I know plenty of people here who have cable and
    > can't stand it. It's Comcast (ex AT&T) here.
    > To e-mail me, remove theobvious from my e-mail address.

    comcast never has had a very good uptime rate.

    Times2, Jan 17, 2004
  17. Street

    artist Guest

    Artist, the good little Microsoft drone heard Dylan Parry
    <> say...

    http://www.geocities.com/nohtmlwebsite/

    --
    AIM: GCCFurryBoy

    http://www.practialdesigns.com/

    "Neither hope nor fear" - Isabella d'Este
    "For to do either is to fall to the beast" - Joseph Richmond
    "The Cow Kings a Bastard! Long live the Cow King!" - Joseph Richmond

    artist, Jan 17, 2004
  18. Street

    Dylan Parry Guest

    rf wrote:

    >> A website without *any* HTML? Impressive; that's something I would like
    >> to see!

    > It's all in a PDF.

    Heh :) but it still wouldn't constitute a website, would it?

    --
    Dylan Parry

    Dylan Parry, Jan 17, 2004
  19. Street

    Stephan Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > Street wrote:
    >
    > > While others are still protesting, you can run a web site on your PC

    > I already do thanks.

    Is it as generic and ugly as all the other Netforall sites?

    Stephan

    Stephan, Jan 18, 2004
  20. Stephan wrote:

    > "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    >> Street wrote:
    >>
    >> > While others are still protesting, you can run a web site on your PC

    >> I already do thanks.
    >>

    > Is it as generic and ugly as all the other Netforall sites?

    I don't use Netforall. I use Apache 2.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 18, 2004