Run an html page on the client's pc

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by James Cooke, Jun 15, 2004.

  1. James Cooke

    James Cooke Guest

    The clients that connect to my webserver all have a bunch of html files
    located on their hard drives, ie

    c:\myfiles\html1.htm
    c:\myfiles\html2.htm
    c:\myfiles\html3.htm
    c:\myfiles\html4.htm
    c:\myfiles\html5.htm

    These html files will start up some flash movies.

    I want them to be able to click links on my webserver, and the links will
    open up the html files located on their hard drive. Right now, when they do
    that nothing happens.

    This is the href I am using:
    target="_blank">c:\clarion6\bin\flash\dct7a.htm</a>
    Nothing happens here.

    However, if I specify

    Windows explorer, under My Computer pops up.
    This means *something* is possible.

    Any ideas as to get this right?
    Thanks

    James Cooke, Jun 15, 2004

  2. "James Cooke" <jamescooketx yahoo com> wrote in message
    > The clients that connect to my webserver all have a bunch of html files
    > located on their hard drives, ie
    >
    > c:\myfiles\html1.htm
    > c:\myfiles\html2.htm
    > c:\myfiles\html3.htm
    > c:\myfiles\html4.htm
    > c:\myfiles\html5.htm
    >
    > These html files will start up some flash movies.
    >
    > I want them to be able to click links on my webserver, and the links will
    > open up the html files located on their hard drive. Right now, when they

    do
    > that nothing happens.

    Slight semantic correction: the links aren't on your webserver. They're in
    the HTML sent to your client from your webserver. That's important in
    understanding what will happen if you click the link.

    > This is the href I am using:
    > target="_blank">c:\clarion6\bin\flash\dct7a.htm</a>
    > Nothing happens here.

    I recommend that you play with that URL. I expect you have a problem with
    the number of slashes ("/").

    > However, if I specify
    >
    > Windows explorer, under My Computer pops up.
    > This means *something* is possible.
    >
    > Any ideas as to get this right?
    > Thanks

    Yes. Try adding an "x" after the slashes. Also try removing a slash. You've
    got an odd number of slashes, which doesn't make sense. I notice you didn't
    escape the slashes within the file spec.
    --
    John Saunders
    johnwsaundersiii at hotmail

    John Saunders, Jun 15, 2004

  3. James Cooke

    Raterus Guest

    This worked for me...

    Raterus, Jun 15, 2004
  4. James Cooke

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    I'm guessing it's a security setting for using the browser to call these
    files.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], Jun 15, 2004
  5. James Cooke

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    Oh, and it's nothing to do with ASP/ASP.NET, it's an HTML/Clientside thing

    Curt_C [MVP], Jun 15, 2004