Run away SPIDs to ASPState database

msnews.microsoft.com

We are running a ASP.NET 1.1 web app on Windows Server 2003 SP1. We are
using IIS 6.0 native mode and .NET 1.1 SP1 is installed.

We have 3 web apps in our web farm. We are using SQLServer session state
and have our machinekeys matched. We just launched a few days ago.

We did an iisreset this morning on all 3 and tonight when things settled
down I noticed we had 30 SPIDs still connected to the web apps. These SPIDs
were all connected to the ASPState database (around 10 SPIDs coming from
each webapp). The SPIDs connected to our main database had released from
the pool and only a few remained.

After doing some profiling, I noticed that the ASPState database was getting
hammered by calls to

declare @p2 varbinary(7000)
set @p2=NULL
declare @p3 bit
set @p3=1
declare @p4 int
set @p4=13520
declare @p5 int
set @p5=50
exec dbo.TempGetStateItemExclusive2
@id='4y4ren45clx5wpuwzwgz0r55b1e38631',@itemShort=@p2 output,@locked=@p3
output,@lockAge=@p4 output,@lockCookie=@p5 output
select @p2, @p3, @p4, @p5

I have read that this could happen with earlier versions of .NET if a
non-serializable object was attempted to be stored in session. However I
thought this problem of infinite looping was fixed and an error was
generated.

Anyone have this situation or know what's going on?