Run just portable apps on a PC?

bramnizzle

I don't know if this is the right thread or not, but...

In my endless pursuit to hold on to my dinosaur laptop (Dell 1100
Inspiron - circa 2004)...I want to keep as much space free for my
programs to run. The problem is that as new software comes out, they
seem to take up more and more space on the HD.

I use most of the PortableApps.com programs from my usb with great
success and ease.

Well, recently I found a portable Photoshop CS3 and I love it! It's
only 59MB! The problem I ran into is that the stacked cache begins to
run low if you don't have a lot of space left on your usb drive. So,
I saved it on my personal network drive at work and it works fine. So
this begs the question...

If there are lots of portable programs that work from a usb stick
(Photoshop CS3, AVG antivirus, games, Open Office, and yes...there's
even a Microsoft Office 2007 portable!)...can I run all portable apps
on my PC and get rid of the disk space depleting full installs? What
if I get rid of the 2GB Office 2007 I have and run the 520MB Office
2007 portable? What if I got rid of my full install 927MB Photoshop
CS3 and use the 59MB CS3 portable?

Are portable apps only intended for usb sticks? Did I just get lucky
that the CS3 portable worked fine on my network drive?

hmm...

Rolf Magnus

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

<something about his laptop and software on USB sticks>

I've read your posting, but I failed to find any question about the C++
programming language in it. Did you mean to post that to another newsgroup?

Erik Wikström

I don't know if this is the right thread or not, but...

It is not, nor do I know which one would be. What I would like to know
is how you came to the decision that out of the thousands of newsgroups
out there this was the one you should post in.

bramnizzle

It is not, nor do I know which one would be. What I would like to know
is how you came to the decision that out of the thousands of newsgroups
out there this was the one you should post in.

My God man! Sor-RY! I wasn't asking for anyone to jump down my
throat for posting in the wrong thread. Just ignore it then. It's
not like the small amount of space this is taking up is affecting you.

Rolf Magnus

My God man! Sor-RY! I wasn't asking for anyone to jump down my
throat for posting in the wrong thread. Just ignore it then. It's
not like the small amount of space this is taking up is affecting you.

Actually, it is. He had to waste time reading your posting just to find out
that it had nothing to do with the topic. Then it took him some more time
to tell you that you are in the wrong group, which - judging from your
answer - turned out to be a waste of time, too.
BTW: Picking out some random newsgroup just because you didn't find the
right one is a great way to make a fool out of yourself and to minimize
chances for useful answers. An even better way to do that is by upsetting
people who are answering you.

Shadowman

My God man! Sor-RY! I wasn't asking for anyone to jump down my
throat for posting in the wrong thread. Just ignore it then. It's
not like the small amount of space this is taking up is affecting you.

All right, that's it! You can turn in your badge at the next station.
You're a disgrace to the force!

Victor Bazarov

On 2007-12-20 17:51, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

I don't know if this is the right thread or not, but...
It is not, [..]
My God man! Sor-RY! [...]

All right, that's it! You can turn in your badge at the next station.
You're a disgrace to the force!

I thought the force was [always] with me. Now it seems like there
needs to be a badge of some kind... Whaddya do with it? You know,
when somebody says "Use the force, Luke", do you just wave your
badge around? I can see where it might be analogous to waving
a crucifix to ward off evil spirits... Where do I get the badge?

Rolf Magnus

On 2007-12-20 17:51, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

I don't know if this is the right thread or not, but...
It is not, [..]

My God man! Sor-RY! [...]

All right, that's it! You can turn in your badge at the next station.
You're a disgrace to the force!

I thought the force was [always] with me. Now it seems like there
needs to be a badge of some kind... Whaddya do with it? You know,
when somebody says "Use the force, Luke", do you just wave your
badge around? I can see where it might be analogous to waving
a crucifix to ward off evil spirits... Where do I get the badge?

No need for a badge. Instead of the force, you can Use The Source, Luke.
That comes without the need for any badges.

red floyd

On 2007-12-20 17:51, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

I don't know if this is the right thread or not, but...
It is not, [..]

My God man! Sor-RY! [...]
All right, that's it! You can turn in your badge at the next station.
You're a disgrace to the force!
I thought the force was [always] with me. Now it seems like there
needs to be a badge of some kind... Whaddya do with it? You know,
when somebody says "Use the force, Luke", do you just wave your
badge around? I can see where it might be analogous to waving
a crucifix to ward off evil spirits... Where do I get the badge?

No need for a badge. Instead of the force, you can Use The Source, Luke.
That comes without the need for any badges.

Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to
show you any stinking badges.

Jack Klein

On 2007-12-20 17:51, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

I don't know if this is the right thread or not, but...
It is not, [..]

My God man! Sor-RY! [...]

All right, that's it! You can turn in your badge at the next station.
You're a disgrace to the force!

I thought the force was [always] with me. Now it seems like there
needs to be a badge of some kind... Whaddya do with it? You know,
when somebody says "Use the force, Luke", do you just wave your
badge around? I can see where it might be analogous to waving
a crucifix to ward off evil spirits... Where do I get the badge?

Victor,

Please rest assured that the force is always with YOU.

It's just not with bramnizzle, not anymore, if it ever was.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com