run-time analysis tools

phil789

Hi,
My questions are about run-time analysis tools like purify.
Do you think that such a tool is usefull when developping?
Is there some others tools like purify?
What tool do you recommend when developping with visual C++?
with GNU compiler on Linux?
Thanks for your answers.
Philippe

Victor Bazarov

phil789 said:
My questions are about run-time analysis tools like purify.
Do you think that such a tool is usefull when developping?

Yes, I do. If it's there and is just sitting doing nothing, use it. If
it means you have to spend tons of time learning it after spending tons
of money buying it, wait until you have elusive memory bugs to fix.
Is there some others tools like purify?

'Insure++', 'valgrind'.
What tool do you recommend when developping with visual C++?

I tend to favour Purify, but I've not used Insure++ enough to form
a strong opinion.
with GNU compiler on Linux?

The latest.

Rolf Magnus

phil789 said:
Hi,
My questions are about run-time analysis tools like purify.
Do you think that such a tool is usefull when developping?
Yes.

Is there some others tools like purify?
Yes.

What tool do you recommend when developping with visual C++?
Dunno.

with GNU compiler on Linux?

valgrind

Anoop Aryal

phil789 said:
Hi,
My questions are about run-time analysis tools like purify.
Do you think that such a tool is usefull when developping?
Is there some others tools like purify?
What tool do you recommend when developping with visual C++?
with GNU compiler on Linux?
Thanks for your answers.
Philippe

don't know much about windows/VC++. but check out callgrind and KCachegrind.
or checkout the -pg switch of gcc along with gprof and kprof for graphical
representation of the gprof data.

anoop aryal.