    still far from that goal of reaching the speeds of light.
    Any guys here can give us more facts about the future of VMs and their
    performance? (esp. .NET I mean)

    main\(\){};, Dec 12, 2004

  2. main\(\){};

    Helge Jensen Guest

    main(){}; wrote:
    > I can't ignore the speed of .NET managed applications in manipulating
    > string, I/O and arithmetic operations.

    The actual I/O is done in native code so you should not see much
    performance degrade from that.

    Most string operations should be pretty fast in C#, especially since the
    strings are immutable, so you don't need any locking in threaded apps.
    For repeated concatenation, use the StringBuilder clsas, and things
    should be pretty fast.

    Finally, if you have critical parts of your system using the major part
    of resources, you can implement those parts in unmanaged code and easily
    (have you tried JNI?) use those from .NET langauges.

    > However, we can never compare the
    > speed of a C/C++ program with its .NET counterpart when it comes to some
    > heavy operations, like long loops, graphics, load time and many other
    > issues.

    Actually, in theory the .NET runtime could simply compile the IL code to
    the same code as a c++ compiler would with the c++ source. How far
    MSVC's C# compiler does optimizations like those is not known to me.

    > The dream is; having an intermediate language (IL) run in the virtual
    > machine at the speed of an unmanaged code. Java has in many ways solved this
    > issue and their performance is sometimes cool, special in their latest VM.

    My current perception of the MSVC CIL runtime excution is that it is a
    lot faster on many operations, and certainly much more memory efficient
    that current JVM's from Sun. I have no test-programs to back up this
    perception, do you have any to back up yours? if you do, I would like to
    see them so I can have a better understanding of the strengths and
    waknesses of the two runtimes.

    > We can't also ignore the performance of .NET , but to be honest, we are
    > still far from that goal of reaching the speeds of light.
    > Any guys here can give us more facts about the future of VMs and their
    > performance? (esp. .NET I mean)

    Perhaps you could write a few test-programs that demonstrate the
    specific problems have? Perhaps someone can help you to write a faster
    implementation.

    --
    Helge

    Helge Jensen, Dec 12, 2004

  3. main\(\){};

    Phil Wilson Guest

    You're talking about this as if the .NET IL code is being interpreted all
    the time, but it's not, it's compiled to native code and runs native.
    --
    Phil Wilson
    [Microsoft MVP-Windows Installer]

    Phil Wilson, Dec 13, 2004
  4. I'd agree with the other posters, I don't think the speed differential's
    that large. The only reason we've compiled some code into native C++ is that
    it interfaces with libraries that were unhappy being compiled as managed.
    Initially we were going to compile a lot of our maths code unmanaged, but
    the difference in speed was neglibible so in the end, we didn't bother. We
    have the same code running as pure native code in another test harness and
    it doesn't seem any slower, though I don't have comparison figures.

    Steve

    Steve McLellan, Dec 14, 2004