Running a non-EJB in an application server (Websphere)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Barney, Feb 13, 2004.

  1. Barney

    Barney Guest

    Hi

    I have a JAVA application which process financial messages received
    from the outside world via MQ Series or TCPIP. Essentially it is a
    black box. Message in, message out.

    The app consists of 2 separate processes - an interface program which
    accepts and replies to requests, and an backend component which does
    the actual work. The two components talk together using Java RMI.

    The application is NOT written as EJBs. Neither does it have any
    web-related functionality. It is normally released as a few Jar files,
    and run via a script (in turn run as a system service on NT). The
    script starts the backend component, the interface component and the
    RMI registry using several calls to
    java <component name>

    Now, I have a client who wants (because it is his "standard") to run
    the app under Websphere. So I downloaded the trial of Websphere, but I
    can't see how I can run a non-EJB application. It seems I need to
    create an EAR file and a "deployment descriptor" for the application.
    Is this possible for non-EJBs? Everything I see on the web is about
    building EJB apps and Web applications. I have pointed out to the
    client that these are the normal usage of Websphere, but he says it
    should be possible to use Websphere simply as a "container" for the
    product.

    Can anybody tell me whether (a) this should be possible, and (b) how I
    might make a start on getting it running?

    Ta,

    Barney

    Barney, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Barney

    Sudsy Guest

    Barney wrote:
    <snip>
    > Can anybody tell me whether (a) this should be possible, and (b) how I
    > might make a start on getting it running?

    Make it a servlet, package in a war and specify load-on-startup in
    your web.xml file.

    Sudsy, Feb 13, 2004