running a separate applicaiton within an installation package

Dica

i'm primarily a web developer, so this is probably a pretty stupid question
to ask, but i'm trying to figure out how to run an installation package i'm
writing in a VS setup project. as far as i've been able to tell, the VS
setup template is only responsible for copying my installation EXE to the
users's computer and do other misc things like add registry keys, but i need
to have my installation EXE actually run during the set up process. my
installation EXE needs to do things like install sql express, install a web
service, etc. all that this setup package is doing so far is copying over
the EXEs to the users computer and not running them.

can anybody give me any pointers on how to do this or point me to a
tutorial.