Running a VS.Net 1.1 application

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Shawn Ferguson, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. If you have already created a web-based application in Visual Studio 2003, will it run on the .NET 2.0 framework or will you have to upgrade your VS 2003 to VS 2005 code in order to run it. We have a developer who just recently finished a nice sized project in VS 2003, but we just recently upgraded out .NET framework to 2005. I haven't broke the news to him yet, hopefully I won't have to and it will run.

    Thanks!

    Shawn Ferguson, Nov 23, 2005

  2. Shawn Ferguson

    Norman Yuan Guest

    When you say "upgrateed out .NET FW2005", (BTW, there is no .NET
    Framework2005, only .NET Framework2.0. Do confuse the Framework with
    VisualStudio, which has 2002, 2003 and 2005 version), do you mean you
    removed previous .NET framework (1.0 and/or 1.1) and then installed 2.0? Or
    you just simply installed 2.0?

    ..NET Framework is designed for co-existence of multiple versions. They DO
    not replace each other (as usual meaning of "upgrading"). In this sense, I'd
    rather say new version of .NET framework is installed, than saying .NET
    framework is upgrated.

    It is best to run a .NET app with the exact version of .NET framework. Of
    cource, most .NET app will most likely run on later version of .NET
    framework. However, it is not 100% guarranteed. Some features of older
    version .NET framework may get dropped in later version. If your app uses
    thoses features, it will fail on later .NET framework.

    Norman Yuan, Nov 23, 2005