Running a Web Application local without a network !

arkam

Hi,

I have a big web application that works on my web / application server
!

Now I want to instal it on a laptop which is not connected to the
network.

My web application works with a database server which I can simulate
with an access db !

Is there something else then IIS to do run my web app ?

Where can I found articles or tutorials on this ?

Is there a tip from Microsoft for this ?

Thank you,

Arkam

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

As long as you are using either localhost or 127.0.0.1 to set up the
application, you should not have a problem with running a web app without a
network. Most likely, the app was set up using the Computer domain name, or
Domain IP address. To change this, you can edit the .webinfo file in the
project source directory and the .sln file for initial opening (if you are
running from the .sln file). After that, you will be able to both run and
edit on the local machine.

I would genericize your data layer a bit so you can easily move from Access
to the database server. You can simply use the OleDb namespace, but this
reduces the effectiveness of the app when attached to an RDBMS like SQL
Server or Oracle.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Kevin Spencer

As ong as IIS is installed on the machine, and ASP.Net, you shouldn't have
any problems. You DO need IIS.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Rajagopal Pasupuleti

If your laptop OS is win2k or xp then first install
IIS from windows update then create a virtual directoryon your local web
server as you did on network development web server add your
application..

Rajagopal Pasupuleti

arkam

Thank you for replying !

My Data layer is already generic (although MS does everything to
prevent this) !

My main problems are about :

1. the deployment
2. the interaction of my application with webservices and third party
componants that will not be available from the laptop. For this part I
thought about the Proxy pattern !

Any thoughts ?

Arkam

arkam

Can't I use Cassini for example or something like that that is more
easy to instal and to set up ? (command line start ...)

arkam

Thank you for replaying !

How can I do that for hundreds of laptops at the same time ?

Are there deployment tools that can automate these steps ?

Thanks !