running an RMI server which accepts connections over TCPIP(LAN) and PPP(modem)

Discussion in 'Java' started by Daniel Bress, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. Daniel Bress

    Daniel Bress Guest

    I have a problem where I want to run an RMI server application on a
    computer which accepts connections over two interfaces(LAN and MODEM)

    Thusly, the computer has two ip addresses(one for each interface)

    if i run this application by default then when the RMI ref object goes
    back to the client, it appears to return the LAN ip address, and when
    the client calls we have a RMI connection exception thrown.

    I can then specify the server hostname using
    -Djava.rmi.server.hostname=1.2.3.4
    but then this doesnt allow to me use both interfaces.

    The same problem exists when i pass a client object to the server and
    expect a call back. if the client has both LAN and MODEM interfaces
    then it appears to pick the lan interface first, even though it was
    the modem interface which established the connection. it will even
    pick the LAN interface if the modem is not enabled.

    IF anyone has experienced similar issues please post any insight.

    thank you

    Dan

    Daniel Bress, Sep 15, 2003