    using it?
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jan 27, 2006

  2. Roedy Green

    zero Guest

    Roedy Green <> wrote in
    news::

    > I installed the prerelease 1.6 JRE. It did not touch my Java control
    > panel or register itself with it. So how do you trick a browser into
    > using it?

    Just a wild guess, but it may work - only for Opera under Windows.

    Opera uses the registry to find the current JRE, and uses that to run
    applets. You may be able to make Opera use the new version by temporarily
    changing the registry setting

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/JavaSoft/Java Runtime
    Environment/CurrentVersion

    If there is no sub-key 1.6 you may need to make it. Just copy the 1.5 one
    and change the relevant paths.
    zero, Jan 27, 2006

  3. Roedy Green

    Mickey Segal Guest

    "zero" <> wrote in message
    > Just a wild guess, but it may work - only for Opera under Windows.

    JRE 1.6 appears in the Java Control Panel on Windows XP and works in
    Internet Explorer and Firefox. For reasons I can't remember I uninstalled
    Sun Java 1.5 and installed 1.6 and it seems to work as expected.
    Mickey Segal, Jan 27, 2006