Running ASP.NET 2.0 app on IIS on XP from VS.NET 2005 Help?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by bcox, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. bcox

    bcox Guest

    Hello VS 2005 World...

    I am making my way through VS 2005 Beta 1 and I'm having a problem getting
    ASP.NET project to start in IIS running on an XP development machine.

    I build a sample project in VS 2005 and it runs fine through the debugger.
    Then I try using the new Publish Web Site feature to publish the application
    to IIS at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\my_project.

    It looks like everything gets published correctly to a virtual directory.
    But when I go into IIS and configure the startup file to look for
    Default.aspx then try and access the application in Exporer using this
    address: http://localhost/my_project/default.aspx.

    I get this message:

    The XML page cannot be displayed
    Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then
    click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    Invalid at the top level of the document. Error processing resource
    'http://localhost/OneToMany2/default.aspx'. Line 1, Po...

    This is a marker file generated by the precompilation tool, and should not
    be deleted!
    ^

    Can anyone give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong here? The virtual
    directory looks right, I see the code there and I don't see anything unusual
    in IIS.The application works fine through the debugger.

    One note is that the machine I installed Yukon and VS 2005 already had .NET
    Framework 1.1 installed. Does this have anything to do with it? I don't
    think so because the new VS 2005 Web Configuration App runs fine...

    Thanks

    Confused and bewildered...
    bcox, Jan 28, 2005

  2. There was no way for you to know it, but this is a classic asp newsgroup.
    question to a group where those dotnet-savvy people hang out. I suggest
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jan 29, 2005

  3. bcox

    bcox Guest

    Bob:

    Thanks, my mistake... There are so many MS news groups it's hard to keep
    them all straight... I'll try elsewhere....

    bcox, Jan 29, 2005