Running ASP.NET from Another Directory

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Shahir A. Ahang, May 13, 2004.

  1. Sorry for the cross-post as I am not sure which group to post this question
    to. I am trying to run an ASP.NET application in IIS 6.0. If I have my
    application in the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\app1\ directory, which the Default
    Website is pointing to, the application works. However, if I create a new
    Website and point it to d:\IIS\sites\app1\ it does not work.

    I checked the permissions on the c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ directory and the it
    was the following:

    -IUSR_SERVER - Explicit "Deny Write"
    -IIS_WPG - Read Access
    -Administrators - Full Control
    -SYSTEM - Full Control
    -CREATOR OWNER - No Permissions

    I set the permissions on d:\IIS\sites\ to the same as c:\inetpub\wwwroot\
    and the application still did not work. I kept getting the page pasted at
    the end of this message. However when I set the permission on d:\IIS\sites\
    to Everyone - Full Control the .aspx page loads successfully. I obviousely
    do not want to do that so I am hoping someone has a better suggestion.

    Shahir Ahang

    Server Error in '/' Application.
    ----

    Runtime Error
    error settings for this application prevent the details of the application
    error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however,
    be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

    Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable
    on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config"
    configuration file located in the root directory of the current web
    application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute
    set to "Off".

    <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

    Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom
    error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's
    <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

    <!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>
    Shahir A. Ahang, May 13, 2004

  2. > Sorry for the cross-post as I am not sure which group to post this
    > question
    > to.

    It doesn't belong in asp.general, which is for "classic" ASP...
    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], May 13, 2004