    a JavaScript function?

    Thanks,
    Charlie

    Charlie@NISH, Aug 26, 2005

  2. Charlie@NISH

    Guest

    , Aug 26, 2005

  3. Charlie@NISH wrote:

    > What technologies are available in ASP.NET for running Server side code from
    > a JavaScript function?

    Client-side JavaScript?
    There what .NET on the server and IE/Win on the client support is web
    services, so on the server you write a web service with .NET (.NET
    allows that easily with .asmx pages and declaring methods as
    [WebMethod]) which then provides a WSDL description of your web service
    and on the IE client you use the web service behavior (search
    msdn.microsoft.com for that) to load that WSDL description and then make
    your client-side calls to the web service and receive the response in a
    callback function.

    Mozilla also has some support to create a client-side proxy object from
    the WSDL description of a server-side web service but interoperability
    with .NET web services is rather poor as far as I have found.

    If you need broader client support then the latest versions of Mozilla,
    Opera, Safari and Konqueror all have XMLHttpRequest support so you can
    use that to send and receive XML data to/from the server, see
    <http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/17226/fid/616>
    ASP.NET of course can easily parse/process/create XML.

    --

    Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Aug 26, 2005