Running ASP.NET solutions from different physical locations

Guest

I have a solution file (*.sln) which contains web service and web console projects.

This solution file is shared in a team development environment (via a source library tool).

When opening the solution file on different machines it complains about not being able to find the virtual web directories (always with a root reference of http://localhost/...) even though they exist.

From examining the solution files it appears that they are generating machine specific configuration and referencing these using GUIDS.

Question: How do you make solution files (that contain web projects) work on multiple machines without having to re-add projects? This is critical for us as we are using an automated build process which runs on a separate build server.

Mike Smith

well one issue ive faced is because it was reading the proxy as the
localhost and not the current local machine as the localhost...
the said to be workaround for that was to set in IE options under
Connections > Lan Settings , Select bypass proxy server for local
addresses... if u dont have a proxy situation setup then well... well try
that first... oh yeah and just make sure ur IIS setting has the IP Address
set to ALL UNASSIGNED under its default web site properties...

a quick easy fix that i found was editing the local .proj.webinfo file to
use the machine name instead of the localhost... that always worked.. but i
suppose if ur checking those files in and out thats not gonna be a good
solution...

hope that helped...

Matt said:
I have a solution file (*.sln) which contains web service and web console projects.

This solution file is shared in a team development environment (via a source library tool).

When opening the solution file on different machines it complains about
not being able to find the virtual web directories (always with a root
reference of http://localhost/...) even though they exist.
From examining the solution files it appears that they are generating
machine specific configuration and referencing these using GUIDS.
Question: How do you make solution files (that contain web projects) work
on multiple machines without having to re-add projects? This is critical
for us as we are using an automated build process which runs on a separate
build server.

Guest

I am using "ALL UNASSIGNED" and I'm not using a proxy server. Localhost should work on both machines. If I recreate the solution (i.e. create a blank solution and re-add the same web project) all works ok. The new solution has new internal GUID configuration entries added.

So how do I get around the need to recreate solutions so I can do builds directly from what comes out of my source safe environment?

Mike Smith

Hey Matt.

sorry it wasnt much help.. only thing i can point u to now is this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/Tdlg_rm.asp?frame=true

have u read this patterns and practices documents on source safe ? chap 3 is
on structuring solutions and projects.. hopefully theres something in there
?

--
Regards,
Mike