running ASP with ASP.NET pages in single application - switching to .net environment

Akhlaq Khan

hi,
We have a huge web application written in ASP 3.0 (and still currently under
development) but would like to move to ASP.NET because of more robustness,
maintainability and flexibility. but before we move to ASP.NET, i have
following concerns:

1. Which web server should i use ? IIS 5.0 with .net framework (on win2k
server) or IIS 6.0 which has built-in .NET framework (on win2003 server and
which edition?).
2. We have VID/VSS/IIS integrated environment for source code version
management. Will we able to maintain the same environment with ASP and
ASP.NET pages under single application and do the check in/out process as we
normally do today without any difference?
3. Can the Application and session variables (and hence the session) be
shared between the ASP and ASP.NET pages? (like for instance the connection
string application variable). Ideally, i want the ASP and ASP.NET pages to
behave in a similar fashion so that we dont have to develope separate code
in ASP.NET which does exactly the same as the ASP pages do to maintain
application/session environment. how is it possible?
4. Can i run Visual Studio 6.0 (for VB 6.0 and VID 6.0) and VS.NET (for
VB.NET) and their related MSDN versions in parallel on a single machine? I
suppose that my developers will need to switch between the two enviroments
occassionally. are there any know issues with this configuration and is it
safe to do so?
5. Which platform should be used for development puspose ? win2k pro (which
is our current platform) or winXP ?

these are my concerns so far, though i am not sure if this is all i am going
to face once we decide to switch to ASP.NET. if anyone can help or has
already done such type of transformation, please do let me know. i really
want to switch to ASP.NET... thanks a lot !!!

(sorry for posting to multiple groups - my only purpose was to reach out to
all concerned people, i hope nobody minds that)

regards,

akhlaq.

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Akhlaq Khan said:
hi,
We have a huge web application written in ASP 3.0 (and still currently under
development) but would like to move to ASP.NET because of more robustness,
maintainability and flexibility. but before we move to ASP.NET, i have
following concerns:

1. Which web server should i use ? IIS 5.0 with .net framework (on win2k
server) or IIS 6.0 which has built-in .NET framework (on win2003 server and
which edition?).

It really doesn't matter, but if you're starting new I would go with Windows
Server 2003. Compare the features for each version and get the lowest
(least expensive) one that meets your needs.
2. We have VID/VSS/IIS integrated environment for source code version
management. Will we able to maintain the same environment with ASP and
ASP.NET pages under single application and do the check in/out process as we
normally do today without any difference?

Yes. See these great references:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/tdlg_rm.asp?frame=true
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328845

3. Can the Application and session variables (and hence the session) be
shared between the ASP and ASP.NET pages? (like for instance the connection
string application variable). Ideally, i want the ASP and ASP.NET pages to
behave in a similar fashion so that we dont have to develope separate code
in ASP.NET which does exactly the same as the ASP pages do to maintain
application/session environment. how is it possible?

They cannot be shared directly.
4. Can i run Visual Studio 6.0 (for VB 6.0 and VID 6.0) and VS.NET (for
VB.NET) and their related MSDN versions in parallel on a single machine? I
suppose that my developers will need to switch between the two enviroments
occassionally. are there any know issues with this configuration and is it
safe to do so?
Yes.

5. Which platform should be used for development puspose ? win2k pro (which
is our current platform) or winXP ?

It doesn't matter.