running ASP with ASP.NET pages in single application - switching to .net environment

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Akhlaq Khan, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. Akhlaq Khan

    Akhlaq Khan Guest

    hi,
    We have a huge web application written in ASP 3.0 (and still currently under
    development) but would like to move to ASP.NET because of more robustness,
    maintainability and flexibility. but before we move to ASP.NET, i have
    following concerns:

    1. Which web server should i use ? IIS 5.0 with .net framework (on win2k
    server) or IIS 6.0 which has built-in .NET framework (on win2003 server and
    which edition?).
    2. We have VID/VSS/IIS integrated environment for source code version
    management. Will we able to maintain the same environment with ASP and
    ASP.NET pages under single application and do the check in/out process as we
    normally do today without any difference?
    3. Can the Application and session variables (and hence the session) be
    shared between the ASP and ASP.NET pages? (like for instance the connection
    string application variable). Ideally, i want the ASP and ASP.NET pages to
    behave in a similar fashion so that we dont have to develope separate code
    in ASP.NET which does exactly the same as the ASP pages do to maintain
    application/session environment. how is it possible?
    4. Can i run Visual Studio 6.0 (for VB 6.0 and VID 6.0) and VS.NET (for
    VB.NET) and their related MSDN versions in parallel on a single machine? I
    suppose that my developers will need to switch between the two enviroments
    occassionally. are there any know issues with this configuration and is it
    safe to do so?
    5. Which platform should be used for development puspose ? win2k pro (which
    is our current platform) or winXP ?

    these are my concerns so far, though i am not sure if this is all i am going
    to face once we decide to switch to ASP.NET. if anyone can help or has
    already done such type of transformation, please do let me know. i really
    want to switch to ASP.NET... thanks a lot !!!

    (sorry for posting to multiple groups - my only purpose was to reach out to
    all concerned people, i hope nobody minds that)

    regards,

    akhlaq.

    Akhlaq Khan, Apr 29, 2004

  2. "Akhlaq Khan" <> wrote in message
    > hi,
    > We have a huge web application written in ASP 3.0 (and still currently

    under
    > development) but would like to move to ASP.NET because of more robustness,
    > maintainability and flexibility. but before we move to ASP.NET, i have
    > following concerns:
    >
    > 1. Which web server should i use ? IIS 5.0 with .net framework (on win2k
    > server) or IIS 6.0 which has built-in .NET framework (on win2003 server

    and
    > which edition?).

    It really doesn't matter, but if you're starting new I would go with Windows
    Server 2003. Compare the features for each version and get the lowest
    (least expensive) one that meets your needs.

    > 2. We have VID/VSS/IIS integrated environment for source code version
    > management. Will we able to maintain the same environment with ASP and
    > ASP.NET pages under single application and do the check in/out process as

    we
    > normally do today without any difference?

    Yes. See these great references:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/tdlg_rm.asp?frame=true
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328845

    > 3. Can the Application and session variables (and hence the session) be
    > shared between the ASP and ASP.NET pages? (like for instance the

    connection
    > string application variable). Ideally, i want the ASP and ASP.NET pages to
    > behave in a similar fashion so that we dont have to develope separate code
    > in ASP.NET which does exactly the same as the ASP pages do to maintain
    > application/session environment. how is it possible?

    They cannot be shared directly.

    > 4. Can i run Visual Studio 6.0 (for VB 6.0 and VID 6.0) and VS.NET (for
    > VB.NET) and their related MSDN versions in parallel on a single machine? I
    > suppose that my developers will need to switch between the two enviroments
    > occassionally. are there any know issues with this configuration and is it
    > safe to do so?

    Yes.

    > 5. Which platform should be used for development puspose ? win2k pro

    (which
    > is our current platform) or winXP ?

    It doesn't matter.

    --