running aspnet_wp.exe under a different user

Bruce Whitehouse

I need to be able to run the aspnet_wp.exe process under a domain user,
rather than the ASPNET user.

I've tried changing the impersonation settings in the web.config and
machine.config files, but that doesn't seem to do change anything.

How do I configure my machine to get this process to run under a different
user account?

Many thanks,
Bruce Whitehouse

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Bruce,

What you want to do is edit the <processModel> element in the
machine.config file. However, you need to be careful that you don't edit
the comment section by mistake. The easiest way to do this is to open the
machine.config file and then search for "<processModel" without the quotes.
That will take you to the right place. After you do that, enter your user
as DOMAIN\User in the userName field (and make sure the domain is all
upper-case) and enter your password. You will then need to run IISRESET
from a command prompt to restart the process under the new settings.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Microsoft Product Support Services
ASP.NET Developer Support

This post is provided "as-is" and confers no rights.

Bruce Whitehouse

Thanks Jim

I think it may have been the IISRESET that I hadn't done!

Bruce