    Do I need to put a service call in to our admins to do this?

    Thanks.
    , Jun 8, 2005

  2. Jesper Olsen Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello all.
    >
    > We don't have admin privs on our Windows boxes, but I'd like to be able
    > to install a package built using distutils. I was able to install
    > Python without admin, but when I tried to run the installer for this
    > package I'm trying to install, I get a message saying that I need admin
    > privs.
    >
    > Is there a way around this? Why can't it just put things in
    > C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages like a good little installer?
    >
    > Do I need to put a service call in to our admins to do this?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You can use the --home switch to specify a local directory to install
    in, e.g.:

    % python setup.py install --home=.

    -Jesper
    Jesper Olsen, Jun 8, 2005

    I didn't build the installer, someone else did. I did get the source
    and installed cygwin to see if I could recreate it; at least build the
    library, but when I tried to do a build_ext I got a message saying I
    needed to have the .NET SDK installed.
    , Jun 8, 2005
  4. "" <> writes:

    > I didn't build the installer, someone else did. I did get the source
    > and installed cygwin to see if I could recreate it; at least build the
    > library, but when I tried to do a build_ext I got a message saying I
    > needed to have the .NET SDK installed.

    You could at least open the installer exe in winzip or a similar tool,
    and unpack it manually to the site-packages directory.

    Thomas

    PS: I *think* that the distutils from newer Python versions (2.4.1 and
    2.3.5) create installers that can also run without admin rights.
    Thomas Heller, Jun 8, 2005

    I found out how to build it with Cygwin

    python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32 bdist

    I can then unzip the zip file it creates and put it in site-packages.

    It looks like I can install a bdist_wininst installer with Python 2.4,
    but not 2.3.5
    (without admin).
    , Jun 9, 2005