    easy as overlaying the system32 java.exe with the 1.4?

    Thanks,

    Frank

    frank, Jan 27, 2006

  2. "frank" <> wrote in message
    news:VFwCf.55$...
    > If this is not the correct forum for this question please let me know
    > which one as I looked and did not see a better one.
    >
    > I need to run 2 version of java JVM/JDKs , 1.4.x and 1.5 on the same XP
    > machine but have different programs running using the different JVMs/JDK
    > compiles. Is this do able and any know issues. I know on Linux/Unix
    > probably no biggy. But on Windows XP the installer takes control and
    > loads things into the system32 automatically for you with the new version
    > installed. Are their different dll's required for the different versions
    > of java and if so how do you keep it separate. Is it just as easy as
    > overlaying the system32 java.exe with the 1.4?

    Avoid using the system32 java.exe, since, as you point out, installers can
    overwrite it. Install your JREs/JDKs into separate directories, and
    whenever you run a java program, specifically point to the version of java
    you want to run. This works fine.

    Mike Schilling, Jan 27, 2006

  3. On 2006-01-27, frank penned:
    > If this is not the correct forum for this question please let me
    > know which one as I looked and did not see a better one.
    >
    > I need to run 2 version of java JVM/JDKs , 1.4.x and 1.5 on the same
    > XP machine but have different programs running using the different
    > JVMs/JDK compiles. Is this do able and any know issues. I know on
    > Linux/Unix probably no biggy. But on Windows XP the installer takes
    > control and loads things into the system32 automatically for you
    > with the new version installed. Are their different dll's required
    > for the different versions of java and if so how do you keep it
    > separate. Is it just as easy as overlaying the system32 java.exe
    > with the 1.4?

    I do this all the time. Although the image of duelling JVMs is pretty
    entertaining ...

    --
    monique

    Ask smart questions, get good answers:

    Monique Y. Mudama, Jan 27, 2006
  4. frank

    Daniel Dyer Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:00:28 -0000, Mike Schilling
    <> wrote:

    > "frank" <> wrote in message
    >> If this is not the correct forum for this question please let me know
    >> which one as I looked and did not see a better one.
    >>
    >> I need to run 2 version of java JVM/JDKs , 1.4.x and 1.5 on the same XP
    >> machine but have different programs running using the different JVMs/JDK
    >> compiles. Is this do able and any know issues. I know on Linux/Unix
    >> probably no biggy. But on Windows XP the installer takes control and
    >> loads things into the system32 automatically for you with the new
    >> version
    >> installed. Are their different dll's required for the different
    >> versions
    >> of java and if so how do you keep it separate. Is it just as easy as
    >> overlaying the system32 java.exe with the 1.4?

    > Avoid using the system32 java.exe, since, as you point out, installers
    > can
    > overwrite it. Install your JREs/JDKs into separate directories, and
    > whenever you run a java program, specifically point to the version of
    > java
    > you want to run. This works fine.

    A variation on your suggestion:

    Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to point to one of the JDKs, then
    add %JAVA_HOME%\bin to the PATH environment variable (include it before
    any reference to system32).

    Then change JAVA_HOME as required. You can do this at a system, user or
    shell level so that you can mix and match your JVMs as required.

    To the OP, could you not just use 1.5 and use the -source and -target
    options when compiling 1.4 apps?

    Dan.

    --
    Daniel Dyer
    http://www.dandyer.co.uk

    Daniel Dyer, Jan 27, 2006
  5. frank

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:56:05 -0500, frank <> wrote,

    >Is it just as
    >easy as overlaying the system32 java.exe with the 1.4?

    I enjoyed your pun 'dueling" instead of "dual". Sometimes I just give
    up and uninstall all but one.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/flipping.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jan 28, 2006
  6. frank

    Guest

    frank wrote:

    > I need to run 2 version of java JVM/JDKs , 1.4.x and 1.5 on the same XP
    > machine but have different programs running using the different JVMs/JDK
    > compiles.

    This can be achieved by deploying the appliocations using Java
    WebStart.
    All your versioning problems will be over (though you may have to sign
    or alter
    the applications).

    HTH

    , Feb 2, 2006