Running executables from ASP page

Doug Partridge

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to run an .exe or other command line
utility form an .asp page? What I am trying to do is have a report request
page where the user would supply a few details, and then submit. At this
point I am hoping to pass the data to an .exe. This .exe will write its
output to a text file which will be read and displayed on the page. Is this
easily accomplished? Any help is greatly appreciated. Doug

Paul Smith

Doug,

It can be done, but it'll take an extra layer of abstraction and probably
solving some permissions headaches. The better way to go about it is
to encapsulate your reporting functionality in a DLL object which you
then can instantiate using CreateObject in Active Server Pages. If you
absolutely have to use a command-line EXE, your most straightforward
route is probably to put the logic for taking input from your ASP page into
a COM (or .NET) DLL, then have the DLL turn that input into a command-
line to pass to your EXE.