Running in the background

Mike

Hi, I am new to C++ programming (pg. 154) and I had a question that my
book has not answered yet ( C++ for dummies). I was wondering how you
get a program to run "in the background". To be perfectly clear about
what I am asking, I do *not* want it to run "invisibley" or
"stealthily" I just don't want a window poping up every time I run the
program. I'm sorry if this dosen't make much sense but its the best
way I can put it.

Thanks alot for any help that can be given!

Mike Wahler

Mike said:
Hi, I am new to C++ programming (pg. 154) and I had a question that my
book has not answered yet ( C++ for dummies).

Don't allow anyone to call you a 'dummy'. Get
a real textbook. See www.accu.org for peer reviews.
I was wondering how you
get a program to run "in the background".

C++ has no concept of 'background', 'multitasking'
'threading' or any other such necessarily platform
specific features.

C++ was intentionally designed to be platform independent,
so does not address things which might exist on some
platforms, and not on others.

What you're asking can indeed be done with platform
specific extensions and/or specialty libraries, if
your target platform supports such things.
Consult a newsgroup which discusses these issues.
But note that when you do these things, you've
departed from the 'official' standard C++ language.
This isn't necessarily a 'bad thing', but moves
things outside the topic here (ISO standard C++).
To be perfectly clear about
what I am asking, I do *not* want it to run "invisibley" or
"stealthily" I just don't want a window poping up

C++ knows nothing of 'windows'.
every time I run the
program. I'm sorry if this dosen't make much sense but its the best
way I can put it.

Sounds like you want a 'window' (in Microsoft Windows?)
to be 'hidden' (or perhaps not even created) while its
associated program is running.

See www.msdn.microsoft.com
and/or
visit a Windows programming group such as
microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ui or similar.

-Mike

Buster Copley

Mike said:
Hi, I am new to C++ programming (pg. 154) and I had a question that my
book has not answered yet ( C++ for dummies). I was wondering how you
get a program to run "in the background". To be perfectly clear about
what I am asking, I do *not* want it to run "invisibley" or
"stealthily" I just don't want a window poping up every time I run the
program. I'm sorry if this dosen't make much sense but its the best
way I can put it.

Thanks alot for any help that can be given!

There are as many different answers to that question as there are
different operating systems. That's why you should ask again on a
newsgroup that deals with your particular OS, having read the
newsgroup's welcome message, FAQ and/or charter first (*cough*
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html).
For help on MS Windows platforms, MSDN is a good starting place.
Alternatively, you can look for a cross-platform library (the
Available Libraries FAQ at http://www.trumphurst.com/cpplibs/
might be helpful).

Good luck,
Buster.

Artie Gold

Mike said:
Hi, I am new to C++ programming (pg. 154) and I had a question that my
book has not answered yet ( C++ for dummies). I was wondering how you
get a program to run "in the background". To be perfectly clear about
what I am asking, I do *not* want it to run "invisibley" or
"stealthily" I just don't want a window poping up every time I run the
program. I'm sorry if this dosen't make much sense but its the best
way I can put it.

Thanks alot for any help that can be given!

What's a window? ;-)

Seriously though, this is not a question about C++ at all (which has
no such concepts); it is a question about the particular platform on
which you are running. I would recommend you find a forum specific
to that platform and ask there.

I would also recommend that you visit http://www.accu.org to find a
*good* C++ book from which to learn the language.

HTH,
--ag