    program. I'm sorry if this dosen't make much sense but its the best
    way I can put it.

    Thanks alot for any help that can be given!
    Mike, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Mike

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Re: [OT, link, redir] Running in the background

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am new to C++ programming (pg. 154) and I had a question that my
    > book has not answered yet ( C++ for dummies).

    Don't allow anyone to call you a 'dummy'. Get
    a real textbook. See www.accu.org for peer reviews.

    > I was wondering how you
    > get a program to run "in the background".

    C++ has no concept of 'background', 'multitasking'
    'threading' or any other such necessarily platform
    specific features.

    C++ was intentionally designed to be platform independent,
    so does not address things which might exist on some
    platforms, and not on others.

    What you're asking can indeed be done with platform
    specific extensions and/or specialty libraries, if
    your target platform supports such things.
    Consult a newsgroup which discusses these issues.
    But note that when you do these things, you've
    departed from the 'official' standard C++ language.
    This isn't necessarily a 'bad thing', but moves
    things outside the topic here (ISO standard C++).

    >To be perfectly clear about
    > what I am asking, I do *not* want it to run "invisibley" or
    > "stealthily" I just don't want a window poping up

    C++ knows nothing of 'windows'.

    >every time I run the
    > program. I'm sorry if this dosen't make much sense but its the best
    > way I can put it.

    Sounds like you want a 'window' (in Microsoft Windows?)
    to be 'hidden' (or perhaps not even created) while its
    associated program is running.

    See www.msdn.microsoft.com
    and/or
    visit a Windows programming group such as
    microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ui or similar.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Mike wrote:
    > Hi, I am new to C++ programming (pg. 154) and I had a question that my
    > book has not answered yet ( C++ for dummies). I was wondering how you
    > get a program to run "in the background". To be perfectly clear about
    > what I am asking, I do *not* want it to run "invisibley" or
    > "stealthily" I just don't want a window poping up every time I run the
    > program. I'm sorry if this dosen't make much sense but its the best
    > way I can put it.
    >
    > Thanks alot for any help that can be given!

    There are as many different answers to that question as there are
    different operating systems. That's why you should ask again on a
    newsgroup that deals with your particular OS, having read the
    newsgroup's welcome message, FAQ and/or charter first (*cough*
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html).
    For help on MS Windows platforms, MSDN is a good starting place.
    Alternatively, you can look for a cross-platform library (the
    Available Libraries FAQ at http://www.trumphurst.com/cpplibs/
    might be helpful).

    Good luck,
    Buster.
    Buster Copley, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Mike

    Artie Gold Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Hi, I am new to C++ programming (pg. 154) and I had a question that my
    > book has not answered yet ( C++ for dummies). I was wondering how you
    > get a program to run "in the background". To be perfectly clear about
    > what I am asking, I do *not* want it to run "invisibley" or
    > "stealthily" I just don't want a window poping up every time I run the
    > program. I'm sorry if this dosen't make much sense but its the best
    > way I can put it.
    >
    > Thanks alot for any help that can be given!

    What's a window? ;-)

    Seriously though, this is not a question about C++ at all (which has
    no such concepts); it is a question about the particular platform on
    which you are running. I would recommend you find a forum specific
    to that platform and ask there.

    I would also recommend that you visit http://www.accu.org to find a
    *good* C++ book from which to learn the language.

    HTH,
    --ag

    --
    Artie Gold -- Austin, Texas