running isolated exe with microsoft visual c++ express

talkingpidgin

I am trying to compile my first windows program using microsoft visuall
c++ express. It is a command line program that must run completely
isolated without any setup. It's not a large or complicated program at
all and I can't imagine why it would be so difficult to deploy such a
simple exe. However, when I try to deploy the program (on non-build
machines) it complains that it is installed or configured incorrectly.
I figured out it's because most windows computers don't have the
following directory (which when renamed causes the same error on my
build machine).

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Policies\x86_policy.8.0.Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_x-ww_77c2477

I have made sure the mfc is linked statically. and I also made sure
allow isolation is set to yes.

I have also tried setting generate manifest to no and then putting all
of the dlls it complains about in the directory with the exe. When I do
this it gives me the error

The procedure entry point __security_error_handler could not be located
in the dynamic link library MSVCR80.dll

This all may have something to do with the clr stuff since I don't even
really understand what that is but I know I had to enable it because I
have the line

#using <System.dll>

I have also tried putting System.dll in the directory with the
executable but this makes no difference. I am kind of frustrated that
it is this difficult to just deploy an isolated command line program
for windows using vc++.

Pan

I have also tried setting generate manifest to no and then putting all
of the dlls it complains about in the directory with the exe. When I do
this it gives me the error

It's OT here, have a look at microsoft newsgroups. Also, you may want to
look for "Side-by-side" or "sxs".

talkingpidgin

EDIT: I have tried using msvcr80.dll from both of these directories

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.163_x-ww_681e29fb
C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.42_x-ww_0de06acd

both cause the same error

rossum

I am trying to compile my first windows program using microsoft visuall
c++ express. It is a command line program that must run completely
isolated without any setup. It's not a large or complicated program at
all and I can't imagine why it would be so difficult to deploy such a
simple exe.
This is a problem with your development environment, not with C++. It
is off topic here. You are likely to get better help in a group for
the Microsoft environments. Try microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc
or microsoft.public.dotnet.general where people are more likely to
know the details of VC++ Express.

rossum