    is this doable with java embedded in html or do I need tomcat or
    something?

    anyone?

    NNTP, Apr 12, 2004

  2. NNTP

    Brian Palmer Guest

    [removed comp.lang.java.misc, comp.lang.java.developer as invalid
    groups; setting followups to cljp ]
    (NNTP) writes:

    > I have a jar file that I am running from my PC and it works fine when
    > I launch it with the following command.
    >
    > I type 'java -jar test.jar' and it brings up a window and does what
    > its supposed to do.
    >
    > but the problem is that only I can access it this way, I want other
    > people on the network accessing this as well and so I want to run it
    > from within a webpage so people can click on something and it will
    > bring up same window on their desktop.
    >
    > is this doable with java embedded in html or do I need tomcat or
    > something?

    It is probably doable with Java applets. See the Applet part of the
    tutorial
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/applet/index.html
    and
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/plugin/index.html

    for information on how to do this. Note that applets are intentionally
    run in a restricted environment by default, so you have to take some
    extra steps to do things like access files on the user's harddrive or
    open up network connections to any site other than the one where the
    applet is coming from.

    An alternative may be using something like Sun's webstart. See
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jws/index.html

    --
    See comp.lang.java.announce for java-related announcements

    Brian Palmer, Apr 12, 2004

  3. NNTP

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 12 Apr 2004 15:52:35 -0700, Brian Palmer
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >It is probably doable with Java applets. See the Applet part of the
    >tutorial
    > http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/applet/index.html
    >and
    > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/plugin/index.html

    the other even easier way is to package your application as a Java Web
    Start app. All you need is a JNLP file. Nothing else has to change.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javawebstart.html
    and
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/applet.html

    --