running jar files from web. - Tomcat?

NNTP

I have a jar file that I am running from my PC and it works fine when
I launch it with the following command.

I type 'java -jar test.jar' and it brings up a window and does what
its supposed to do.

but the problem is that only I can access it this way, I want other
people on the network accessing this as well and so I want to run it
from within a webpage so people can click on something and it will
bring up same window on their desktop.

is this doable with java embedded in html or do I need tomcat or
something?

anyone?

Brian Palmer

[removed comp.lang.java.misc, comp.lang.java.developer as invalid
groups; setting followups to cljp ]
I have a jar file that I am running from my PC and it works fine when
I launch it with the following command.

I type 'java -jar test.jar' and it brings up a window and does what
its supposed to do.

but the problem is that only I can access it this way, I want other
people on the network accessing this as well and so I want to run it
from within a webpage so people can click on something and it will
bring up same window on their desktop.

is this doable with java embedded in html or do I need tomcat or
something?

It is probably doable with Java applets. See the Applet part of the
tutorial
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/applet/index.html
and
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/plugin/index.html

for information on how to do this. Note that applets are intentionally
run in a restricted environment by default, so you have to take some
extra steps to do things like access files on the user's harddrive or
open up network connections to any site other than the one where the
applet is coming from.

An alternative may be using something like Sun's webstart. See
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jws/index.html