    what experience did you make?

    Thanks.

    Astrid
    Astrid Wagner, Jul 7, 2003

  2. On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:13:32 +0200, Astrid Wagner <>
    wrote:
    > Has anyone tried to call a jni method in a servlet and if yes:
    > what infrastructure are you using (web server, servlet engine ..) and
    > what experience did you make?

    I've used both Tomcat and Lotus Domino to run servlets which access
    native methods. Both work, but you have to be careful of the
    security environment. Access to native methods are usually tightly
    control because then you have full access to the underlying OS and
    hardware and in the wrong hands that can be a bad thing, from crashes
    to actual destructive behavior (whether inadvertant or not).

    In general I would suggest staying away for native methods used as
    part of a particular servlet unless you absolutely have to. And if
    you do, isolate the methods in a package that is installed as part
    of the JVM core classes.

    JNI is a powerful tool, and in the right situations, extremely
    useful, but it should only be used with a very good understanding of
    the issues involved.

    --Joe
    Joseph Millar, Jul 8, 2003