running multiple threads and multiple processes at the same time

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Smegly, May 17, 2004.

  1. Smegly

    Smegly Guest

    Hi,

    I currently trying to implement a simulation banking system as part of an
    assigment. I must stress i do not want line by line code to complete this,
    what i'm really after is a guide to how i would go about doing this.

    I need to read a customer from the file customer_list, into a fifo queue,
    every Ts time. (where Ts is expressed in seconds).

    Whilst this is happening i also need to have 3 tellers, who when a customer
    enters the queues, a free teller grabs the customers and processes there
    request, which takes Ts time. (as before). If no customer, teller sleeps.

    From thinking about this, I have come up what i believe is the best way to
    go.

    I think i should create one process that runs the customerInsert() routine,
    and then three processes one for each teller ( running the Teller() routine)

    Now, the problem that i have is i have never coded in C before. I am quite
    well versed in Java, however. Therefore my first question is whats the best
    way to start coding this? and secondly, how do i code this ?? Is there C
    API DOCS like Java has ??

    Thanks in advance,

    Matt
    Smegly, May 17, 2004

  2. Smegly

    Mitchell Guest

    On Tue, 18 May 2004 00:04:25 +0800, "Smegly" <>
    wrote:

    >I think i should create one process that runs the customerInsert() routine,
    >and then three processes one for each teller ( running the Teller() routine)

    What for? I'll just do a big loop, each loop is 1 unit of time
    (depending on what your question requires). Every loop I do...

    Wait, this is very /Off Topic/ here. Try comp.programming or some
    newsgroups concerned with algorithms.

    >Now, the problem that i have is i have never coded in C before. I am quite
    >well versed in Java, however. Therefore my first question is whats the best
    >way to start coding this? and secondly, how do i code this ?? Is there C
    >API DOCS like Java has ??

    You want threads and stuff, you must look at your platform specific
    newsgroups. Standard portable C (which this newsgroup is concerned)
    has no API per se, if you mean it the way Java does (drawing buttons,
    widgets and all that stuff). Check the C compiler you are using. There
    should be some docs.
    Mitchell, May 19, 2004