    like this on a Windows machine, but on UNIX, is it possible?

    Thanks,
    JH
    Yoda Pugsley, Apr 12, 2004

  2. Yoda Pugsley

    Mothra Guest

    "Yoda Pugsley" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns94C9A13B64BADheretherecom@65.32.1.6...
    > I'm new to perl and need to write a script for work. After doing some
    > research into writing perl scripts (I'm a .net dev), I found that a lot of
    > the examples I had found did not work. After a lot of head scratching (the
    > UNIX admins are a lot of help too /sarcasm)

    Those are bad admins then - I'm an Admin and I insisted that all our servers
    were upgraded to 5.8.0... but then I'm a Perl coder as well. :eek:)

    > I checked the perl version,
    > 5.005_3. Most of the examples are from perl 5.8, hence no workie on
    > 5.0whatever.
    >
    > Given all of this, I'd like to install my own copy of perl 5.8 in my home
    > directory. Is that going to interfere with the current 5.0 install? I

    don't
    > think I could get the admins to move the whole machine to 5.8, so it has

    > be a local kind of thing. I know what might happen if I tried something
    > like this on a Windows machine, but on UNIX, is it possible?

    Yes it is possible. We run some Portal Infranet sevrers here and it comes
    with its own complete (out-of-date) version of Perl installed under
    /export/home/<username>. As long as you make sure all the files are in one
    location and that you don't choose the option to link /usr/bin/perl to
    *your* version, you should be fine.
    Mothra, Apr 16, 2004

  3. Yoda Pugsley

    J. Gleixner Guest

    Mothra wrote:
    > "Yoda Pugsley" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm new to perl and need to write a script for work. After doing some
    >>research into writing perl scripts (I'm a .net dev), I found that a lot of
    >>the examples I had found did not work. After a lot of head scratching (the
    >>UNIX admins are a lot of help too /sarcasm)

    > Those are bad admins then - I'm an Admin and I insisted that all our servers
    > were upgraded to 5.8.0... but then I'm a Perl coder as well. :eek:)

    Hopefully you have insisted that they upgrade from 5.8.0, since there
    were a lot of issues with that release. :)
    J. Gleixner, Apr 16, 2004
  4. Yoda Pugsley

    Guest

    J. Gleixner <> wrote:
    >Mothra wrote:
    >> "Yoda Pugsley" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I'm new to perl and need to write a script for work. After doing some
    >>>research into writing perl scripts (I'm a .net dev), I found that a lot of
    >>>the examples I had found did not work. After a lot of head scratching (the
    >>>UNIX admins are a lot of help too /sarcasm)

    >> Those are bad admins then - I'm an Admin and I insisted that all our servers
    >> were upgraded to 5.8.0... but then I'm a Perl coder as well. :eek:)

    >Hopefully you have insisted that they upgrade from 5.8.0, since there
    >were a lot of issues with that release. :)

    I have been trying to figure the best way to upgrade perl. I have a
    linux system that started with Slackware a long time ago and is now
    somewhat Debianized but I install a lot of programs with "configure; make;
    make install". The best way to upgrade perl, that I've run across, is:
    1. Run "perl -MCPAN -eshell" and run autobundle.
    2. Completely delete all perl programs and directories.
    3. Compile and install the new perl version.
    4. install the bundle created with autobundle.

    I am not a perl expert at all, and I wonder if any of the perl experts
    can critique my procedure?
    --

    Fred

    Error Loading Explorer.exe