    What is the best way to run multiple version of Python on the same
    system?

    thanks!
    Cowmix, Jul 9, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    "Cowmix" <> wrote:

    >What is the best way to run multiple version of Python on the same
    >system?

    You could use chroot. Ask if you want more details.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 10, 2006

  3. Cowmix

    Guest

    Cowmix wrote:
    > For my day job I am forced to run RHEL3 (and Centos3 on my desktop). I
    > want to be able to use a few applications that require Python 2.4.X but
    > RHEL3 ships with Python 2.2.3. I have tried to install and upgrade
    > Python 2.4.X many ways like using PyVault and doing a source based
    > install but each way has been fraught with problems from weird
    > dependency issues to screwing up 'yum'.

    Did you use the bootstrap RPM?

    http://www.python.org/pyvault/centos-3-i386/pyvault-release-bootstrap-3-3.el3.pyv.noarch.rpm

    If you want to try again, you can ping the pyvault-users mailing list
    for specific answers to error messages you are seeing during
    installation.

    > What is the best way to run multiple version of Python on the same
    > system?
    >
    > thanks!
    , Jul 10, 2006
  4. Cowmix

    Guest

    Cowmix wrote:
    > For my day job I am forced to run RHEL3 (and Centos3 on my desktop). I
    > want to be able to use a few applications that require Python 2.4.X but
    > RHEL3 ships with Python 2.2.3. I have tried to install and upgrade
    > Python 2.4.X many ways like using PyVault and doing a source based
    > install but each way has been fraught with problems from weird
    > dependency issues to screwing up 'yum'.
    >
    > What is the best way to run multiple version of Python on the same
    > system?
    >
    > thanks!

    If installing from source, 'make altinstall' will do everything but
    link python to (for example python2.4. You can then run 'python2.4'
    'python2.3',etc to use a particular version.
    , Jul 10, 2006