Running Multiple Versions of Ruby on Debian?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by John Griffiths, Oct 10, 2008.

  1. Well so far things are going kind of good, I've built my own server and
    it's sitting in colo running Debian Etch and Ruby 1.8.6 (built from
    source)

    Now me being me I wouldn't mind running 1.8.7 alongside 1.8.6 for my
    Rails blogging software.

    Has anyone had any experiences in running multiple versions of Ruby on
    Debian Etch?

    I found one article which explains how to run 3 using
    update-alternatives but pretty unsure if it'll adapt well to Debian,

    http://blog.michaelgreenly.com/2008/08/multiple-versions-of-ruby-on-ubuntu-2.html

    Seems possible, especially using:

    ./configure --prefix=/opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71

    To set where to install the Ruby version, I'm imagining I'd have to run
    gem --update like,

    /opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71/bin/gem --update
    or
    /opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71/bin/gem install rails

    to install the necessary gems per ruby install without touching the one
    in /usr/bin/ruby,

    then i'm imagining,

    /opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71/bin/thin start -C /var/www/apps/myapp/thin.conf
    ...to start the thin webserver with my config file

    Will try out on a virtual machine first, but am i on the right track or
    is there something better?

    John Griffiths, Oct 10, 2008

  2. Alle Friday 10 October 2008, John Griffiths ha scritto:
    > Well so far things are going kind of good, I've built my own server and
    > it's sitting in colo running Debian Etch and Ruby 1.8.6 (built from
    > source)
    >
    > Now me being me I wouldn't mind running 1.8.7 alongside 1.8.6 for my
    > Rails blogging software.
    >
    > Has anyone had any experiences in running multiple versions of Ruby on
    > Debian Etch?
    >
    > I found one article which explains how to run 3 using
    > update-alternatives but pretty unsure if it'll adapt well to Debian,
    >
    > http://blog.michaelgreenly.com/2008/08/multiple-versions-of-ruby-on-ubuntu-
    >2.html
    >
    > Seems possible, especially using:
    >
    > ./configure --prefix=/opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71
    >
    > To set where to install the Ruby version, I'm imagining I'd have to run
    > gem --update like,
    >
    > /opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71/bin/gem --update
    > or
    > /opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71/bin/gem install rails
    >
    > to install the necessary gems per ruby install without touching the one
    > in /usr/bin/ruby,
    >
    > then i'm imagining,
    >
    > /opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71/bin/thin start -C /var/www/apps/myapp/thin.conf
    > ...to start the thin webserver with my config file
    >
    > Will try out on a virtual machine first, but am i on the right track or
    > is there something better?

    I'd also suggest to pass configure the --program-prefix or --program-suffix
    arguments. This way, you can call the ruby 1.8.7 executable ruby187, instead
    of just ruby and you won't have to use its full path every time you want to
    use it. The same happens with the other executables, like irb and ri.

    Stefano

    Stefano Crocco, Oct 10, 2008

  3. On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 9:05 AM, John Griffiths <> wrote:

    > Seems possible, especially using:
    >
    > ./configure --prefix=/opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71
    >
    > To set where to install the Ruby version, I'm imagining I'd have to run
    > gem --update like,
    >
    > /opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71/bin/gem --update

    > is there something better?

    I just create files with appropriate PATH settings, like
    export RUBY_HOME=/opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71
    PATH=$RUBY_HOME/bin:$PATH
    Name them sensibly, and you can just type, e.g.
    prompt% . 187
    to source, and voila! No need to enter the entire path, or remember
    to use a different name.

    FWIW,
    --
    Hassan Schroeder ------------------------

    Hassan Schroeder, Oct 10, 2008
  4. Thanks Stefano,

    so if i were to do,

    /configure --prefix=/opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71 --program-suffix=187

    to make ruby187 point to /opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71/ruby ?

    John Griffiths, Oct 10, 2008
  5. Alle Friday 10 October 2008, John Griffiths ha scritto:
    > Thanks Stefano,
    >
    > so if i were to do,
    >
    > ./configure --prefix=/opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71 --program-suffix=187
    >
    > to make ruby187 point to /opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71/ruby ?

    It doesn't create a symlink. It will change the name of the ruby executable:
    not

    /opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71/ruby

    but

    /opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71/ruby187

    If you then put /opt/ruby-1.8.7-p71 in your PATH, you'll be able to use
    ruby187 to call the new version and ruby to call the old version.

    Stefano

    Stefano Crocco, Oct 10, 2008