Running NMap Scan from Perl

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by KDawg44, Feb 5, 2010.

  1. KDawg44

    KDawg44 Guest

    Hello,

    From a resource perspective, would it be better to loop through and
    scan each subnet or build my list of subnets and scan once? Does it
    matter?

    For instance, would I be better looping through:

    nmap -sS SUBNET_1
    nmap -sS SUBNET_2
    nmap -sS SUBNET_3

    or

    nmap -sS SUBNET_1 SUBNET_2 SUBNET_3 .....

    Also, due to a whitelist built into my script (skipped over IP's), the
    scan looks more like:

    nmap -sS SUBNET_1.1-40 SUBNET_1.42-100 SUBNET_1.102-254

    Will any of this make a difference?

    Thanks for your suggestions.

    Kevin

    KDawg44, Feb 5, 2010

  2. On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 06:21:50 -0800, KDawg44 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > From a resource perspective, would it be better to loop through and scan
    > each subnet or build my list of subnets and scan once? Does it matter?
    >
    > For instance, would I be better looping through:
    >
    > nmap -sS SUBNET_1
    > nmap -sS SUBNET_2
    > nmap -sS SUBNET_3
    >
    > or
    >
    > nmap -sS SUBNET_1 SUBNET_2 SUBNET_3 .....
    >
    > Also, due to a whitelist built into my script (skipped over IP's), the
    > scan looks more like:
    >
    > nmap -sS SUBNET_1.1-40 SUBNET_1.42-100 SUBNET_1.102-254
    >
    > Will any of this make a difference?

    This is actually a nmap question, not a perl question. But yes, it makes
    a huge difference as nmap parallises the scans. Read the nmap man page
    for more info.

    HTH,
    M4

    Martijn Lievaart, Feb 5, 2010