    haven't been able to get this to work.
    How can I run this other program from a python script and pass the filename
    as a parameter?
    Spiffy, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Hi !

    You can also do (sample) :

    import os
    vret = os.popen('c:\\pfiles\\lplayer.exe')
    print vret

    @+
    --
    Michel Claveau
    Michel Claveau/Hamster, Dec 9, 2003

  3. "Spiffy" wrote:

    > The 'Learning Python' book talks about using the os.system call, but I
    > haven't been able to get this to work.

    "it doesn't work" is a really lousy way to describe a problem what did you
    do, what happened, and what did you expect would happen instead?

    also see:

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro

    > How can I run this other program from a python script and pass the filename
    > as a parameter?

    import os

    filename = "myfile"
    os.system("program %s" % filename)

    </F>
    Fredrik Lundh, Dec 9, 2003
  4. Spiffy

    Spiffy Guest

    "Michel Claveau/Hamster" <> wrote in
    message news:br3t6s$44i$...
    > Hi !
    >
    > You can also do (sample) :
    >
    > import os
    > vret = os.popen('c:\\pfiles\\lplayer.exe')
    > print vret
    >

    > @+
    > --
    > Michel Claveau

    Hello Michel, thanks for taking the time to respond. Unfortunately, when I
    tried to run your sample code (changing the name of the file, of course), it
    did nothing.

    > How can I run this other program from a python script and pass the

    filename
    > as a parameter?

    import os

    filename = "myfile"
    os.system("program %s" % filename)

    </F>

    Fredrik, the example you provided is virtually the same as the one from the
    "Learning Python" book. When I run it, the dos command line appears with the
    message 'Bad command or file name". Both the .exe and the .mid file are in
    the python path and the spelling has been checked.
    What I expected to happen was that the os.system call would start the .exe
    and begin playing the .mid file. This does not happen. This is what I meant
    when I said I haven't been able to get this to work.

    >"it doesn't work" is a really lousy way to describe a >problem what did

    you
    >do, what happened, and what did you expect would >happen instead?
    >
    >also see:
    >
    > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smartquestions.html#intro

    Pardon me for being a newbie, but if you don't have an answer, why do you
    have to give me attitude?
    Spiffy, Dec 9, 2003
  5. "Spiffy" wrote:

    > > How can I run this other program from a python script and pass the

    > filename
    > > as a parameter?

    > import os
    >
    > filename = "myfile"
    > os.system("program %s" % filename)
    >
    > </F>
    >
    > Fredrik, the example you provided is virtually the same as the one from the
    > "Learning Python" book.

    that indicates that it's supposed to work, don't you think?

    > When I run it, the dos command line appears with the message 'Bad command
    > or file name".

    that indicates that Windows cannot find the command, don't you think?

    > Both the .exe and the .mid file are in the python path and the spelling has
    > been checked.

    you mean sys.path? that's the problem, most likely. As mentioned in the
    documentation, os.system() executes the command just as if you've typed
    it in a "DOS box". Windows doesn't look at the Python path when you do
    that, so to make sure Windows finds the command, you have to add it to
    the Windows path (the PATH environment variable), or provide the full path
    to os.system().

    program = r"x:\full\path\to\program"
    filename = "..."
    os.system("%s %s" % (program, filename))

    the os.path.abspath() function can be useful in cases like this; it makes sure
    that if your program can find a file, another program can also find it:

    program = os.path.abspath("x:/somewhere/program")
    filename = os.path.abspath("somefile")
    os.system("%s %s" % (program, filename))

    (if the filename may contain spaces, you may have to add quotes around
    the second %s)

    the relevant manual page contains more information on os.system, and
    mentions a couple of alternatives (os.startfile, os.spawnlp, etc):

    §http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/os-process.html

    > Pardon me for being a newbie, but if you don't have an answer, why do you
    > have to give me attitude?

    os.system() is still the answer; the problem is in how you used it and what
    you expected from it, not in the function itself. You cannot expect people
    to read your mind, and then complain when they fail.

    </F>
    Fredrik Lundh, Dec 9, 2003
  6. Spiffy fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 09 December 2003 00:38
    am:

    > from the "Learning Python" book. When I run it, the dos command line
    > appears with the message 'Bad command or file name". Both the .exe and
    > the .mid file are in the python path and the spelling has been
    > checked. What I expected to happen was that the os.system call would
    > start the .exe and begin playing the .mid file. This does not happen.
    > This is what I meant when I said I haven't been able to get this to
    > work.

    So include (don't retype or paraphrase, use cut&paste) the /exact/
    code which is failing, AND the exact command window output...

    Among other things, I don't think os.system() uses the /Python/ path
    -- its the equivalent of opening a new command prompt and typing the
    command; so it is the OS search path that is used.

    Open a command window, and type the exact command you think you are
    using in os.system()

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Dec 9, 2003
  7. Spiffy

    Spiffy Guest

    "Fredrik Lundh" <> wrote in message
    > "Spiffy" wrote:
    >
    > > > How can I run this other program from a python script and pass the

    > > filename
    > > > as a parameter?

    > > import os
    > >
    > > filename = "myfile"
    > > os.system("program %s" % filename)
    > >
    > > </F>
    > >
    > > Fredrik, the example you provided is virtually the same as the one from

    the
    > > "Learning Python" book.

    > that indicates that it's supposed to work, don't you think?

    IT COULD HAVE BEEN A MISPRINT, DON'T YOU THINK?

    > > When I run it, the dos command line appears with the message 'Bad

    command
    > > or file name".

    > that indicates that Windows cannot find the command, don't you think?
    >
    > > Both the .exe and the .mid file are in the python path and the spelling

    has
    > > been checked.

    > you mean sys.path?

    IF I HAD MEANT sys.path, I WOULD HAVE SAID sys.path, DON'T YOU THINK?

    that's the problem, most likely. As mentioned in the
    > documentation, os.system() executes the command just as if you've typed
    > it in a "DOS box". Windows doesn't look at the Python path when you do
    > that, so to make sure Windows finds the command, you have to add it to
    > the Windows path (the PATH environment variable), or provide the full path
    > to os.system().
    >
    > program = r"x:\full\path\to\program"
    > filename = "..."
    > os.system("%s %s" % (program, filename))
    >
    > the os.path.abspath() function can be useful in cases like this; it makes

    sure
    > that if your program can find a file, another program can also find it:
    >
    > program = os.path.abspath("x:/somewhere/program")
    > filename = os.path.abspath("somefile")
    > os.system("%s %s" % (program, filename))
    >
    > (if the filename may contain spaces, you may have to add quotes around
    > the second %s)

    TYPING THE FULL PATH GIVES ME THE SAME RESULT: NOTHING. THE ABOVE CODE USING
    os.path.abspath CAUSES A DOS BOX TO APPEAR AND DO NOTHING WHILE PYTHON
    CRASHES.
    > the relevant manual page contains more information on os.system, and
    > mentions a couple of alternatives (os.startfile, os.spawnlp, etc):
    >
    > §http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/os-process.html
    >
    > > Pardon me for being a newbie, but if you don't have an answer, why do

    you
    > > have to give me attitude?

    > os.system() is still the answer; the problem is in how you used it and

    what
    > you expected from it, not in the function itself. You cannot expect

    people
    > to read your mind, and then complain when they fail.

    I DID NOT ASK ANYONE TO READ MY MIND, NOR DID I COMPLAIN THAT ANYONE COULD
    NOT READ MY MIND.
    I DO NOT THINK THE PROBLEM IS IN HOW I USED THE FUNCTION NOR WHAT I EXPECTED
    FROM IT.

    Spiffy, Dec 9, 2003
  8. Du calme, s'il vous plaît...

    --
    Michel Claveau
    Michel Claveau/Hamster, Dec 9, 2003
  9. Spiffy

    Spiffy Guest

    "Dennis Lee Bieber" <> wrote in message
    > Spiffy fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 09 December 2003 00:38
    > am:
    >
    > > from the "Learning Python" book. When I run it, the dos command line
    > > appears with the message 'Bad command or file name". Both the .exe and
    > > the .mid file are in the python path and the spelling has been
    > > checked. What I expected to happen was that the os.system call would
    > > start the .exe and begin playing the .mid file. This does not happen.
    > > This is what I meant when I said I haven't been able to get this to
    > > work.
    > >

    > So include (don't retype or paraphrase, use cut&paste) the /exact/
    > code which is failing, AND the exact command window output...
    >
    > Among other things, I don't think os.system() uses the /Python/

    path
    > -- its the equivalent of opening a new command prompt and typing the
    > command; so it is the OS search path that is used.
    >
    > Open a command window, and type the exact command you think you

    are
    > using in os.system()
    >
    > --

    In the command window the call to the program with the name of the .mid
    file to be played works just fine. Here is what it looks like....exactly:
    C:\Python22>playb Canyon.mid

    Here is the code used to call it from Python:
    import os
    filename = "C:\Python22\Canyon.mid"
    os.system("C:\Python22\playb.exe%s"%filename)
    ....this causes a dos box to appear which promptly hangs and does nothing, at
    which time Python stops responding. Vartiations on this will cause the dos
    box to appear with the message "Bad command or file name".

    ============================================================== <

    Spiffy, Dec 9, 2003
  10. > Here is the code used to call it from Python:
    > import os
    > filename = "C:\Python22\Canyon.mid"
    > os.system("C:\Python22\playb.exe%s"%filename)
    > ...this causes a dos box to appear which promptly hangs and does nothing,
    > at which time Python stops responding. Vartiations on this will cause the
    > dos box to appear with the message "Bad command or file name".

    Looks like there is a space missing -

    os.system("C:\Python22\playb.exe %s"%filename)
    ^

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Dec 9, 2003
  11. Spiffy

    Spiffy Guest

    "Diez B. Roggisch" <> wrote in message
    > > Here is the code used to call it from Python:
    > > import os
    > > filename = "C:\Python22\Canyon.mid"
    > > os.system("C:\Python22\playb.exe%s"%filename)
    > > ...this causes a dos box to appear which promptly hangs and does

    nothing,
    > > at which time Python stops responding. Vartiations on this will cause

    the
    > > dos box to appear with the message "Bad command or file name".
    > >

    > Looks like there is a space missing -
    >
    > os.system("C:\Python22\playb.exe %s"%filename)
    > ^
    >
    > Diez

    There is no space missing. That is the name of the file on my comp.
    Spiffy, Dec 9, 2003
  12. Spiffy

    Spiffy, Dec 9, 2003
  13. >> > filename = "C:\Python22\Canyon.mid"
    >> > os.system("C:\Python22\playb.exe%s"%filename)
    >> > ...this causes a dos box to appear which promptly hangs and does

    > nothing,
    >> > at which time Python stops responding. Vartiations on this will cause

    > the
    >> > dos box to appear with the message "Bad command or file name".
    >> >

    >> Looks like there is a space missing -
    >>
    >> os.system("C:\Python22\playb.exe %s"%filename)
    >> ^
    >>
    >> Diez
    >>

    > There is no space missing. That is the name of the file on my comp.

    Ok, most probably you'll start to yell at me now, but _there is a space
    missing_:

    >>> filename = "C:\Python22\Canyon.mid"
    >>> print "C:\Python22\playb.exe%s"%filename

    C:\Python22\playb.exeC:\Python22\Canyon.mid

    I have no WinBox here - but I bet even windows likes its commandline
    arguments somehow separated from each other. Try executing the line above,
    and I bet command.com complains about "Bad command or file name".

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Dec 9, 2003
  14. Spiffy

    Fedor Guest

    "Spiffy" <> wrote in message

    > "Diez B. Roggisch" <> wrote in message
    > > > Here is the code used to call it from Python:
    > > > import os
    > > > filename = "C:\Python22\Canyon.mid"
    > > > os.system("C:\Python22\playb.exe%s"%filename)
    > > > ...this causes a dos box to appear which promptly hangs and does

    > nothing,
    > > > at which time Python stops responding. Vartiations on this will cause

    > the
    > > > dos box to appear with the message "Bad command or file name".
    > > >

    > > Looks like there is a space missing -
    > >
    > > os.system("C:\Python22\playb.exe %s"%filename)
    > > ^
    > >
    > > Diez
    > >

    > There is no space missing. That is the name of the file on my comp.

    The ^ points right after exe. (use fixed fonts to see). The command you are
    executing is:

    C:\Python22\playb.exeC:\Python22\Canyon.mid

    There needs to be a space between exe and the second C:

    Hope it helps.
    Fedor, Dec 9, 2003
  15. Spiffy

    > > nothing,

    > > the
    > >> >

    > >> Looks like there is a space missing -
    > >>
    > >> os.system("C:\Python22\playb.exe %s"%filename)
    > >> ^
    > >>
    > >> Diez
    > >>

    > > There is no space missing. That is the name of the file on my comp.

    > Ok, most probably you'll start to yell at me now, but _there is a space
    > missing_:

    > C:\Python22\playb.exeC:\Python22\Canyon.mid
    >
    > I have no WinBox here - but I bet even windows likes its commandline
    > arguments somehow separated from each other. Try executing the line above,
    > and I bet command.com complains about "Bad command or file name".
    >
    > Diez

    ....why would i yell at you? you are trying to help and i appreciate that.
    Unfortunately, I have tried various spacings both in the filename and the
    os.system call and what happens most often is that a dos box appears and
    hangs and python stops responding.
    Spiffy, Dec 10, 2003
  16. Spiffy

    Spiffy Guest

    "Fedor" <> wrote in message

    > "Spiffy" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Diez B. Roggisch" <> wrote in message

    > > nothing,

    cause
    > > the
    > > > >

    > > > Looks like there is a space missing -
    > > >
    > > > os.system("C:\Python22\playb.exe %s"%filename)
    > > > ^
    > > >
    > > > Diez
    > > >

    > > There is no space missing. That is the name of the file on my comp.
    > >

    > The ^ points right after exe. (use fixed fonts to see). The command you

    are
    > executing is:
    >
    > C:\Python22\playb.exeC:\Python22\Canyon.mid
    >
    > There needs to be a space between exe and the second C:
    >
    > Hope it helps.

    I have tried your suggestion and put a space after the .exe...the result is
    the same as before...a dos box appears and does nothing and python crashes
    (stops responding).
    Spiffy, Dec 10, 2003
  17. Spiffy fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 09 December 2003 14:06
    pm:

    > C:\Python22>playb Canyon.mid
    >
    > Here is the code used to call it from Python:
    > import os
    > filename = "C:\Python22\Canyon.mid"
    > os.system("C:\Python22\playb.exe%s"%filename)

    If that is the true statement you are using then it is NOT the same as
    the command line shown above... THERE'S NO SPACE BETWEEN PROGRAM and
    ARGUMENT!

    You are trying to run a file named:

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Dec 10, 2003
  18. Spiffy wrote:

    > > that indicates that it's supposed to work, don't you think?

    > IT COULD HAVE BEEN A MISPRINT, DON'T YOU THINK?

    sure. if multiple independent sources say the same thing, your
    first thought should be that they're all wrong.

    > > > Both the .exe and the .mid file are in the python path and the spelling
    > > > been checked.

    > > you mean sys.path?

    > IF I HAD MEANT sys.path, I WOULD HAVE SAID sys.path, DON'T YOU THINK?

    the python path is stored in the sys.path variable. why did you
    say python path if you didn't mean it?

    > I DO NOT THINK THE PROBLEM IS IN HOW I USED THE FUNCTION
    > NOR WHAT I EXPECTED FROM IT.

    no, your problems are obviously elsewhere. good luck with your
    programming career.

    </F>
    Fredrik Lundh, Dec 10, 2003
  19. Spiffy

    > Spiffy wrote:
    >
    > > > that indicates that it's supposed to work, don't you think?

    > > IT COULD HAVE BEEN A MISPRINT, DON'T YOU THINK?

    > sure. if multiple independent sources say the same thing, your
    > first thought should be that they're all wrong.

    spelling

    > > > you mean sys.path?

    > > IF I HAD MEANT sys.path, I WOULD HAVE SAID sys.path, DON'T YOU THINK?

    > the python path is stored in the sys.path variable. why did you
    > say python path if you didn't mean it?
    >
    > > I DO NOT THINK THE PROBLEM IS IN HOW I USED THE FUNCTION
    > > NOR WHAT I EXPECTED FROM IT.

    > no, your problems are obviously elsewhere. good luck with your
    > programming career.
    >
    > </F>

    It's interesting to me that, although you provided no help or answers to me,
    you are convinced that you did. In fact, it is clear from your first
    response that your intention has been to amuse yourself by spouting attitude
    at me. Hope you had a good time. Meanwhile, Fredo has provided a nice answer
    that WORKS... along with an explanation of why my code didn't work. He was
    HELPFUL and didn't seem to have the need to belittle me for not being a
    professional Python Master. You remind me of one of these teens on IRC who
    have no other pleasure in life but to sit around and boot people out of
    their precious little chat rooms. I imagine if this was IRC, you would have
    booted me at the first post.
    Spiffy, Dec 10, 2003
  20. Dennis Lee Bieber fed this fish to the penguins on Wednesday 10
    December 2003 00:31 am:

    Talking to myself, again...

    > Spiffy fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 09 December 2003 14:06
    > pm:
    >

    >> os.system("C:\Python22\playb.exe%s"%filename)

    What result do you get with just:

    os.system("dir")

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Dec 11, 2003