Running Ruby on Windows

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Sir Psycho, Oct 15, 2006.

  1. Sir Psycho

    Sir Psycho Guest

    Hi,

    If mod_ruby is only available for *nix systems, how can I code ruby
    scripts into HTML files without using rails? Does webrick still work?

    It also seems that eRuby no longer exists so how would apache be set up
    to handle embedded rubY?

    thanks :)
     
    Sir Psycho, Oct 15, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On 10/15/06, Sir Psycho <> wrote:
    > It also seems that eRuby no longer exists so how would apache be set up
    > to handle embedded rubY?
    >


    You can run it via CGI method. I just found the article here:
    http://www.hiveminds.co.uk/node/3094

    Regards,
    --
    Firman Wandayandi <http://firmanw.org/>
     
    Firman Wandayandi, Oct 15, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. --------------enigEA59374E65BCD84C0259DAF6
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

    Sir Psycho wrote:
    > If mod_ruby is only available for *nix systems, how can I code ruby
    > scripts into HTML files without using rails? Does webrick still work?
    >=20


    Webrick works happily, I thought.

    Alternately, gang up Apache with Mongrel for more speed? (I'd avoid
    lighttpd since I don't trust that Cygwin doesn't do Cruel and Unusual
    things to IO performance.)


    David Vallner


    --------------enigEA59374E65BCD84C0259DAF6
    Content-Type: application/pgp-signature; name="signature.asc"
    Content-Description: OpenPGP digital signature
    Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="signature.asc"

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.5 (MingW32)

    iD8DBQFFMl9Hy6MhrS8astoRAoChAJsFH9KOjWs945Za2DOXIvTz8HUHyACfcO35
    GjFb7ihadLcohmDnJ2G+GO4=
    =NL2T
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

    --------------enigEA59374E65BCD84C0259DAF6--
     
    David Vallner, Oct 15, 2006
    #3
  4. Sir Psycho

    Jan Svitok Guest

    On 10/15/06, David Vallner <> wrote:
    > Sir Psycho wrote:
    > > If mod_ruby is only available for *nix systems, how can I code ruby
    > > scripts into HTML files without using rails? Does webrick still work?
    > >

    >
    > Webrick works happily, I thought.


    Right. Either use Webrick's cgi handler - there was a thread on this a
    few weeks ago - or write a special handler. The same should be
    possible with Mongrel.

    > Alternately, gang up Apache with Mongrel for more speed? (I'd avoid
    > lighttpd since I don't trust that Cygwin doesn't do Cruel and Unusual
    > things to IO performance.)
     
    Jan Svitok, Oct 15, 2006
    #4
  5. Sir Psycho

    Nathan Grant Guest

    Nathan Grant, Oct 15, 2006
    #5
  6. Sir Psycho wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > If mod_ruby is only available for *nix systems, how can I code ruby
    > scripts into HTML files without using rails? Does webrick still work?
    >
    > It also seems that eRuby no longer exists so how would apache be set up
    > to handle embedded rubY?
    >
    > thanks :)


    I'm not sure what you're trying to do with Ruby, but what you describe
    is mere inches away from "Instant Rails", so I'd download that and start
    experimenting!
     
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Oct 15, 2006
    #6
  7. On Oct 15, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Nathan Grant wrote:

    >> The same should be possible with Mongrel.

    >
    > You may want to check out Ezra's latest project [1], it looks quite
    > promising.
    > It's called Merb (Merb == Mongrel + Erb)
    >
    > Nathan
    >
    > [1] http://brainspl.at/articles/2006/10/09/introducing-the-merb
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.
    >


    http://brainspl.at/articles/2006/10/15/merb-gets-cool-routes-and-file-
    uploads ;)


    Cheers-

    -- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
    -- Lead Rails Architect
    --
    -- Engine Yard, Serious Rails Hosting
    -- Reliability, Ease of Use, Scalability
    -- (866) 518-YARD (9273)
     
    Ezra Zygmuntowicz, Oct 15, 2006
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Dema
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    107
    Kaspar Schiess
    Jun 20, 2005
  2. julian
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    120
    James Britt
    Apr 3, 2006
  3. Ezra Zygmuntowicz
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    144
    Ezra Zygmuntowicz
    Jul 12, 2006
  4. Eli Bendersky
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    119
    Luis Lavena
    Jan 31, 2008
  5. Pra Bhandar
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    131
    Pra Bhandar
    Nov 3, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page