Running testbench simulation problem with Quartus II 4.2 and Modelsim 6.0d

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Guido, Jan 27, 2006.

  1. Guido

    Guido Guest

    Dear all,
    I am former Xilinx ISE user but now, for working reasons, I need to
    migrate to Altera Quartus II.
    Is it possible to simulate a project in Quartus II in the same simple
    way as in ISE?
    The only automated way I found to launch a simulation in Modelsim from
    Quartus II is to specify an external EDA simulation program (Modelsim
    VHDL) and use the "More setting" option to specify also the testbench I
    want to use for the simulation.
    The testbench I specified is a generic testbench, not linked to the
    specific developing software I am using..in other word is not a
    testbench like the one generated from the waveform editor.
    In this way I was able to let the Modelsim run without any error but,
    after 2ns the simulation stops. It seems like it doesn't perform any
    iteration.
    It should be a problem of the testbench? Or of the process I used for
    the clock?

    I rely on your help

    Thanks to everybody

    Guido

    Guido, Jan 27, 2006

  2. Re: Running testbench simulation problem with Quartus II 4.2 andModelsim 6.0d

    Guido wrote:

    > I am former Xilinx ISE user but now, for working reasons, I need to
    > migrate to Altera Quartus II.
    > Is it possible to simulate a project in Quartus II in the same simple
    > way as in ISE?

    Not exactly the same way.
    Quartus and modelsim are separate programs
    that just happen to use some of the same
    source files.

    > The only automated way I found to launch a simulation in Modelsim from
    > Quartus II is to specify an external EDA simulation program (Modelsim
    > VHDL) and use the "More setting" option to specify also the testbench I
    > want to use for the simulation.

    I spend most of my time in my text editor
    and run vcom, vsim and quartus scripts from there.
    I don't find the Quartus editor very useful,
    so I don't bother with automation from there.

    > The testbench I specified is a generic testbench, not linked to the
    > specific developing software I am using..in other word is not a
    > testbench like the one generated from the waveform editor.

    That's good.

    > In this way I was able to let the Modelsim run without any error but,
    > after 2ns the simulation stops. It seems like it doesn't perform any
    > iteration.
    > It should be a problem of the testbench? Or of the process I used for
    > the clock?

    Probably. Use modelsim to trace the code
    and look at the waves.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Jan 27, 2006

  3. Guido

    Guido Guest

    Dear Mike,
    thank you for your reply.
    Unfortunately I am not very good in using Modelsim as a standalone
    program.

    What should I do in order to "trace the code"?

    Thank you

    Guido

    Guido, Jan 29, 2006
  4. Re: Running testbench simulation problem with Quartus II 4.2 andModelsim 6.0d

    Guido wrote:
    > Dear Mike,
    > thank you for your reply.
    > Unfortunately I am not very good in using Modelsim as a standalone
    > program.
    > What should I do in order to "trace the code"?

    Click up a shell, bash or cmd.exe

    mkdir play
    cd play
    vcom

    If this doesn't give you the vcom usage,
    type "exit" to close the shell,
    find vcom, and add it's location
    to your path. Restart from the top.

    Once vcom runs from the shell,
    save these files to the play directory:

    http://home.comcast.net/~mike_treseler/uart.vhd
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike_treseler/test_uart.vhd
    http://home.comcast.net/~mike_treseler/uart.do

    Now do this from the shell prompt in the play directory:

    ls (or dir) to check for the 3 files
    vlib work
    vmap work work
    vcom uart.vhd test_uart.vhd
    vsim test_uart -do uart.do

    And wait about 20 seconds.

    This should bring up the modelsim gui, run the testbench
    and show the waveforms.

    Do View,Debug,All to see all the tools.
    Next read Help,docs,Command Reference.
    and write a .do file for your own project.

    Good luck.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Jan 30, 2006