Running tests via rake. Plea for fix.

Tobias Luetke

Currently when you are running tests with rake you will run in all sorts
of problems with the 1.8.2 release.

Usually rake will just freeze and eat up all the available resources
in the system.

The fix is documented here:
http://weblog.rubyonrails.com/archives/2005/01/15/having-problems-running-tests-under-182/

I had to apply this fix to 6 different computer now and its really getting old.

I know that rake is not at fault here but its the main area of concern
since rails relies on rake to run the unit tests.

Can we add the fix to rake using open classes in the meantime?

For everyone who makes it into the rails irc channel or onto the
mailing list to ask what is amiss, 10 or more people just give up.

Jim Weirich

Tobias Luetke said:
Currently when you are running tests with rake you will run in all sorts
of problems with the 1.8.2 release.

Usually rake will just freeze and eat up all the available resources
in the system.

The fix is documented here:
http://weblog.rubyonrails.com/archives/2005/01/15/having-problems-running-tests-under-182/

I had to apply this fix to 6 different computer now and its really getting
old.

I know that rake is not at fault here but its the main area of concern
since rails relies on rake to run the unit tests.

Can we add the fix to rake using open classes in the meantime?

For everyone who makes it into the rails irc channel or onto the
mailing list to ask what is amiss, 10 or more people just give up.

Sorry, I wasn't really aware there were continuing issues with rake and
rails testing. I should be paying more attention!

So, is this an issue with using the testrb script to run the tests, or
something deeper? I've been using testrb to run my unit tests in rake
with no problem ... is the problem specific to rails?

I see the patch, but it gives little information on the essence of the
problem. I don't have time at the moment to dive deep into this problem,
but will make some time this evening. Once a good fix is identified, we
can turn around an updated version of rake fairly quickly.

Feel free to email me off list with more details if needed.

Curt Hibbs

Jim said:
I see the patch, but it gives little information on the essence of the
problem. I don't have time at the moment to dive deep into this problem,
but will make some time this evening. Once a good fix is identified, we
can turn around an updated version of rake fairly quickly.

Feel free to email me off list with more details if needed.

Can you please keep me in the loop for the fix? I want to make a new release
of the One-Click Installer for Windows that includes the fix.

Thanks,
Curt

Jim Weirich

Currently when you are running tests with rake you will run in all sorts
of problems with the 1.8.2 release.

Usually rake will just freeze and eat up all the available resources
in the system.

The fix is documented here:
http://weblog.rubyonrails.com/archives/2005/01/15/having-problems-running-t
ests-under-182/

I must be missing something. I just created a new rails project, added a
model (unit) test and a funtional test and could not reproduce the problem.
I am running:

ruby 1.8.2
rake 0.4.15
rails 0.9.5
actionmailer 0.6.1
actionpack 1.4.0
activerecord 1.6.0

All on debian linux. Is the problem only on windows?
Thanks for any help.

Jamis Buck

I must be missing something. I just created a new rails project, added a
model (unit) test and a funtional test and could not reproduce the problem.
I am running:

ruby 1.8.2
rake 0.4.15
rails 0.9.5
actionmailer 0.6.1
actionpack 1.4.0
activerecord 1.6.0

All on debian linux. Is the problem only on windows?
Thanks for any help.

I confess I haven't been following this thread, so I don't know what
problems the OP was reporting. But I do know that I, myself (on
gentoo) have problems using rake to run tests on non-rails apps. They
seem to be related to the testrb script, but I haven't had time lately
to track it down.

The problem-child that comes to mind is my net-ssh project. Try
running "rake test_all". This used to work. It seems to do with testrb
not liking custom parameters being passed to the test script itself.
(I know I could work around this with environment variables, but like
I said, this *used* to work, and I haven't really had time to "fix"
it.)

It seems like there was at least one or two other issues I was running
into, but either I can't remember what they were, or they are already
fixed. :)

- Jamis