Running Tomcat with IIS6... IIS5 Compatibility Mode OFF

Brian Campbell

I have seen some posts stating that Tomcat can only run with IIS6 if
IIS is set to "IIS 5 Compatibility Mode". For example the link below:

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&frame=off

** However, I am currently running Tomcat 4.1 with IIS 6 and am NOT
using IIS 5 Compatibility Mode. **

I am not very literate with Tomcat and Java technologies in general,
so I'm not sure what I might be missing, or what risks there might be
in running my system in this configuration. Any input would be
appreciated.

Some background: We built this web server to run an application called
Blackboard (an online learning system) which is built on Tomcat and
JSP. Tomcat 4.1 is installed as part of the application. We have
Blackboard running on Win2k and IIS5, but have upgraded this staging
web server to Win2K3/IIS6. Initially we could not get Blackboard to
run under either IIS 5 mode or the default IIS 6 mode, I believe the
WWW Service would not start up. However, after getting some help from
Microsoft, we got the system up WITHOUT using IIS 5 Isolation Mode. We
are using isapi_redirect.dll and AJP13.

I don't believe we did anything special other than the following:
the Blackboard website is in an application pool which runs under the
identity of a privileged account (the account is a local admin on the
web server). This is a sort of archaic requirement of the Blackboard
application (I won't go into the details). But could this be the trick
that allows Tomcat to run with IIS6?

I don't know whether the system is totally stable because it is our
staging environment so it has not been thoroughly load tested.
However, with a low load, it has not shown any major problems like
Tomcat crashing or anything like that.

If anyone has opinions or questions, please reply. What should I be
wary of (other than security risks with running the website as a
privileged account)? If the thing seems to be running OK, am I in the
clear with Tomcat and IIS6?

Best Regards,
Brian Campbell