Running Virtual Folder on Network Share with a different user.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by flat_ross, May 27, 2004.

  1. flat_ross

    flat_ross Guest

    Hi,

    I am in a shop where developers are required to work off of a network
    share. This is so that code is backed up nightly.

    So I am testing running an ASP.NET Web application with a Class
    assembly all on a shared drive.

    I have the solution working perfectly. However, I have run into a
    hiccup. In order to map IIS Virtual Dir to a network drive, you need
    to specify a username/password. When I use the username/password of
    the person logged into XP for the Virtual Folder, then I can debug my
    ASP.NET app with no problems. However, if I set the Virtual Folder to
    connect as another ACL, then I get an error when debugging: Access
    Denied. If I log out of XP and then back in as that Virtual Folder
    user, I can debug the ASP.NET application.

    Here is my configuration:
    Developer Workstation: XP
    File Server: Windows 2000
    CAS on XP has Full Trust of Windows 2000

    Two users: A & B
    Domain Users
    Administrators on both machines.

    IIS/ASP.NET on XP runs as A (through processModel machine.config)
    Impersonation is off.

    Virtual Folder 'Connects As' either A or B (ideally B)
    - using \\server\share. I tried mapping the drive and then using the
    drive name but I receive 'The system cannot find the path specified'
    from IIS MMC.

    To Recap:
    1) - Logged into XP = A
    - processModel = A
    - Virtual Folder = A
    A can debug ASP.NET application.

    2) - Logged into XP = B
    - processModel = A
    - Virtual Folder = B
    B can debug ASP.NET application.

    3) - Logged into XP = A
    - processModel = A
    - Virtual Folder = B
    A CANNOT debug ASP.NET application: Access Denied

    4) - Logged into XP = B
    - processModel = A
    - Virtual Folder = A
    B CANNOT debug ASP.NET application: Access Denied

    The reason we want to have Virtual Folder connect as B is because B
    will be a generic username/password with special access to the File
    Server. A will be any of the developer ACLs.

    This is to prevent administration with a couple 100 developers
    changing 1000s of local virtual folders each time their passwords
    change.

    Regards,
    Ross
    flat_ross, May 27, 2004

  2. flat_ross

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    wouldn't using Source Safe take care of even needing this funky setup?
    Why use a huge hinkey workaround so you get backups, why not just do backups
    properly?

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], May 27, 2004

  3. Perhaps your company should go with the more standard approach of letting
    the developers work locally connected to a centralized SourceSafe database.
    That database can then be backed up nightly.
    You're just asking for headaches with such a non-standard approach.

    --
    I hope this helps,
    Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], May 28, 2004