Running Virtual Folder on Network Share with a different user

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?QVNQLk5FVCBVc2Vy?=, May 31, 2004.

  1. Hi

    I am in a shop where developers are required to work off of a networ
    share. This is so that code and other documentation is backed up nightly. This is outside the realm of Visual SourceSafe which we also use for code control. The network drive is used as the working folder. This is a configuration this shop has used for 6 years and I do not see it changing any time soon

    So I am testing running an ASP.NET Web application with a Clas
    assembly all on a shared drive

    I have the solution working perfectly. However, I have run into
    hiccup. In order to map IIS Virtual Dir to a network drive, you nee
    to specify a username/password. When I use the username/password o
    the person logged into XP for the Virtual Folder, then I can debug m
    ASP.NET app with no problems. However, if I set the Virtual Folder t
    connect as another ACL, then I get an error when debugging: Acces
    Denied. If I log out of XP and then back in as that Virtual Folde
    user, I can debug the ASP.NET application

    Here is my configuration
    Developer Workstation: X
    File Server: Windows 200
    CAS on XP has Full Trust of Windows 200

    Two users: A &
    Domain User
    Administrators on both machines

    IIS/ASP.NET on XP runs as A (through processModel machine.config
    Impersonation is off

    Virtual Folder 'Connects As' either A or B (ideally B
    - using \\server\share. I tried mapping the drive and then using th
    drive name but I receive 'The system cannot find the path specified
    from IIS MMC

    To Recap
    1) - Logged into XP =
    - processModel =
    - Virtual Folder =
    A can debug ASP.NET application

    2) - Logged into XP =
    - processModel =
    - Virtual Folder =
    B can debug ASP.NET application

    3) - Logged into XP =
    - processModel =
    - Virtual Folder =
    A CANNOT debug ASP.NET application: Access Denie

    4) - Logged into XP =
    - processModel =
    - Virtual Folder =
    B CANNOT debug ASP.NET application: Access Denie

    The reason we want to have Virtual Folder connect as B is because
    will be a generic username/password with special access to the Fil
    Server. A will be any of the developer ACLs

    This is to prevent administration with a couple 100 developer
    changing 1000s of local virtual folders each time their password
    change

    =?Utf-8?B?QVNQLk5FVCBVc2Vy?=, May 31, 2004

  2. Hi,

    Regarding on your description, I've also performed some tests on myside. I
    loged with a domain account which has sufficient priviliges on both
    machine. and in the IIS's virtual dir, the UNC folder's connect as account
    is set as
    1. The powerful domain account
    2. An Administrator account(also in debug user group) and has mapped on
    both machine.

    After that, we I try debug on the machine, the #1 work well and
    the #2 occur Access Denied error as you mentioned.

    Currently I'll consult some further experts on this issue and will update
    you as soon as I got any further infos. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jun 1, 2004

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QVNQLk5FVCBVc2Vy?=

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello,

    Did Steven's suggestion help on this issue? If you need more information,
    please feel free to let us know.

    Luke

    [MSFT], Jun 8, 2004
  4. The way I read the thread is that Steven was able to reproduce the same error that I was encountering and that he was going to consult further experts. So my understanding is an answer is forthcoming.

    =?Utf-8?B?QVNQLk5FVCBVc2Vy?=, Jun 8, 2004
  5. Hi,

    I'm sorry for keeping you waiting since I was leave the previous days.
    Currently I'm still waiting for some consult results from those experts on
    this strange behavior. I'll let you know as soon as I got any updates.
    Thanks for your understanding.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jun 9, 2004
  6. Thank you, I will continue to monitor.

    =?Utf-8?B?QVNQLk5FVA==?=, Jun 15, 2004
  7. Thank you, I will continue to monitor.

    =?Utf-8?B?QVNQLk5FVA==?=, Jun 15, 2004
  8. Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jun 19, 2004
  9. =?Utf-8?B?QVNQLk5FVCBVc2Vy?=

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello,

    We are still working on this issue and will update you as soon as possible.
    Thank you for the patience.

    Luke

    [MSFT], Jun 24, 2004
  10. =?Utf-8?B?QVNQLk5FVCBVc2Vy?=

    [MSFT] Guest

    Hello,

    After consult with our programmer, we confirm this is a limitation for
    using "Connect As". Currently, we suggest you not use "Connect As" option
    for the issue. Just use an account who are administrator on both of the two
    computers.

    Luke

    [MSFT], Jun 29, 2004
  11. Luke,

    I have been working on 'plan B' if you came back with this answer. So we are going to use the same username as the person logged in.

    This shop cannot run source code off of the C drive. The code (by organization policy) must run off of a network drive so it can be backed up nightly. This is in addition to checking compilable code into sourcesafe.

    Our developers build and maintain hundreds of small applications. One developer can have 12+ web apps. Because each IIS virtual directory needs its own Connect As to the network drive you can imagine the maintenance nightmare everytime their Windows password is changed.

    But I figured away to change the Connect As through Directory Services code so they'll just need to run a program that will apply the new password to all of their virtual folders.

    I think I read once that ASP.NET could be setup to run in Master mode like Interdev used to -- which is why running our source code off the network was not a problem pre-.NET. So I may try and research that a bit too.

    =?Utf-8?B?QVNQLk5FVA==?=, Jun 29, 2004
  12. =?Utf-8?B?QVNQLk5FVCBVc2Vy?=

    [MSFT] Guest

    Thank you for the information. If you have any questions during your
    development, please feel free to post here. I will be gald to be asisstance.

    Luke

    [MSFT], Jul 2, 2004