Running VS 2008 and MSSQL 2005 on a laptop

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by mazdotnet, Apr 7, 2008.

  1. mazdotnet

    mazdotnet Guest

    mazdotnet, Apr 7, 2008

  2. I have a new laptop (HP Pavilion dv9730nr, look it up) and I run VS 2008 and
    SQL Server 2005 with no problems.

    Tirrell Cotton, Apr 7, 2008

  3. Bad choice for development...
    Buy at least 7200 RMP hard drive. It's very important if you want to work on
    this laptop..
    I was able to customize if from me on HP web site.

    Usually laptops have 5400 RMP (revolutions per minute) hard drives. Saves
    battery time but really bad for application development. Compiling will take
    forever plus working with SQL is hard drive intensive work.

    If specs do not say RMP for hard driver then most likely it's 5400 or 4800
    (which is even worst).
    Just another note.... If you do not really need laptop they do not buy it..
    get yourself nice desktop system...
    You might get a problem like carpal tunnel from using tiny keyboard (besides
    it's inconvenient and your typing speed will drop).

    If you do need laptop, like for travel, then it's better to invest into
    full size keyboard/mouse and preferably monitor bigger that 15 inch. so you
    could connect to your laptop... Docking station is an option but pricey...

    George.

    George Ter-Saakov, Apr 7, 2008
  4. mazdotnet

    socamb Guest

    On Apr 7, 11:59 am, "George Ter-Saakov" <> wrote:
    > Bad choice for development...
    > Buy at least 7200 RMP hard drive. It's very important if you want to work on
    > this laptop..
    > I was able to customize if from me on HP web site.
    >
    > Usually laptops have 5400 RMP (revolutions per minute) hard drives. Saves
    > battery time but really bad for application development. Compiling will take
    > forever plus working with SQL is hard drive intensive work.
    >
    > If specs do not say RMP for hard driver then most likely it's 5400 or 4800
    > (which is even worst).
    > Just another note.... If you do not really need laptop they do not buy it...
    > get yourself nice desktop system...
    > You might get a problem like carpal tunnel from using tiny keyboard (besides
    > it's inconvenient and your typing speed will drop).
    >
    > If you do need laptop, like for travel, then it's better to invest into
    > full size keyboard/mouse and preferably monitor bigger that 15 inch. so you
    > could connect to your laptop... Docking station is an option but pricey...
    >
    > George.
    >
    > "mazdotnet" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi guys,

    > > I'm thinking of buying a laptop time this time and I was wondering if
    > > anyone has any experience with running VisualStudio 2008 and MSSQL
    > > 2005 on a laptop? Please include your processor, and memory as well.

    > > I'm looking at this one which has 2 Gigs RAM.
    > >http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10100....

    > > Thank you
    > > Maz.- Hide quoted text -

    i am using a Dell Precision M6300 with 2 gig of memory. This works
    very well and even lets me run virtual PCs if I need to.

    socamb, Apr 7, 2008
  5. mazdotnet

    Fred Mertz Guest

    I'm running VS 2008 Professional + SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition via
    Windows XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron 8500 purchased 5 years ago. It has an
    old-school 2.4 Ghz processor; 1.25 GB ram, and a 7500 RPM hard drive.
    Everything works just fine - although the first time a project is opened or
    ASP.NET Web application is compiled it takes quite a bit longer than my
    super-powerful desktop (quad core, 4GB DDR-2 RAM, four SATA-2 drives
    configured to run as a RAID 10 volume blah blah blah).

    Whatever you do, be sure you have a 7500 RPM hard drive.

    I have both a 7500 RPM and a 5400 RPM hard drive for my old laptop - and the
    difference is absolutely noticeable. If your new laptop doesn't come with a
    7500 RPM drive, then buy one ASAP. It's well worth the $100US or so you'd
    pay. Drive speed is way more important than either RAM or CPU (assuming you
    have at least 1GB RAM for an XP Pro system - vista and you need more).

    -HTH

    Fred Mertz, Apr 7, 2008
  6. mazdotnet

    Guest

    On Apr 7, 11:27 am, mazdotnet <> wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I'm thinking of buying a laptop time this time and I was wondering if
    > anyone has any experience with running VisualStudio 2008 and MSSQL
    > 2005 on a laptop? Please include your processor, and memory as well.
    >
    > I'm looking at this one which has 2 Gigs RAM.http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10100...
    >
    > Thank you
    > Maz.

    I run VS2008 w/SQL 2005 on my Dell Latitude D830 with no problem. My
    system does have a fast hard drive so... but no worries here.

    , Apr 10, 2008