Running VS 2008 and MSSQL 2005 on a laptop

Tirrell Cotton

I have a new laptop (HP Pavilion dv9730nr, look it up) and I run VS 2008 and
SQL Server 2005 with no problems.

George Ter-Saakov

Bad choice for development...
Buy at least 7200 RMP hard drive. It's very important if you want to work on
this laptop..
I was able to customize if from me on HP web site.

Usually laptops have 5400 RMP (revolutions per minute) hard drives. Saves
battery time but really bad for application development. Compiling will take
forever plus working with SQL is hard drive intensive work.

If specs do not say RMP for hard driver then most likely it's 5400 or 4800
(which is even worst).
Just another note.... If you do not really need laptop they do not buy it..
get yourself nice desktop system...
You might get a problem like carpal tunnel from using tiny keyboard (besides
it's inconvenient and your typing speed will drop).

If you do need laptop, like for travel, then it's better to invest into
full size keyboard/mouse and preferably monitor bigger that 15 inch. so you
could connect to your laptop... Docking station is an option but pricey...

George.

socamb

[...]

i am using a Dell Precision M6300 with 2 gig of memory. This works
very well and even lets me run virtual PCs if I need to.

Fred Mertz

I'm running VS 2008 Professional + SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition via
Windows XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron 8500 purchased 5 years ago. It has an
old-school 2.4 Ghz processor; 1.25 GB ram, and a 7500 RPM hard drive.
Everything works just fine - although the first time a project is opened or
ASP.NET Web application is compiled it takes quite a bit longer than my
super-powerful desktop (quad core, 4GB DDR-2 RAM, four SATA-2 drives
configured to run as a RAID 10 volume blah blah blah).

Whatever you do, be sure you have a 7500 RPM hard drive.

I have both a 7500 RPM and a 5400 RPM hard drive for my old laptop - and the
difference is absolutely noticeable. If your new laptop doesn't come with a
7500 RPM drive, then buy one ASAP. It's well worth the $100US or so you'd
pay. Drive speed is way more important than either RAM or CPU (assuming you
have at least 1GB RAM for an XP Pro system - vista and you need more).

-HTH

Kixoka

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a laptop time this time and I was wondering if
anyone has any experience with running VisualStudio 2008 and MSSQL
2005 on a laptop? Please include your processor, and memory as well.

I'm looking at this one which has 2 Gigs RAM.http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10100...

Thank you
Maz.

I run VS2008 w/SQL 2005 on my Dell Latitude D830 with no problem. My
system does have a fast hard drive so... but no worries here.