Runtime Error Installing Ruby 1.8.5

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by muraii@yahoo.com, Dec 12, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi there,

    I'm trying to get amaroK installed on my minimalist Slackware 10.2
    machine. I know: "minimalist" and "amaroK" might not be intuitively
    concurrent. Still, I thought I'd give it a whirl.

    Of the three mandatory dependencies, I have two successfully installed:
    kdelibs (required installing qt) and taglib. Ruby, though, is giving
    me fits during installation.

    Here's the error that kills things:

    "/home/muraii/temp/ruby-1.8.5-p2/lib/fileutils.rb:1239:in `copy':
    unknown file type: ./.ext/. (RuntimeError)"

    I've googled the hell out of it, but can only seem to find one person
    who's <a href
    ="http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=123&thread=186273">publicized
    readline and then copied a resultant readline.bundle file into the Ruby
    install directory. I suppose the installing architecture is a bit
    different on OS X, that person's machine, from Linux, as I only manage
    to make a readline.so file (or that's the only one that looks
    important), which I copied to /usr/local/lib/ alongside the ruby
    executable in /usr/local/bin. Nothing.

    Ruby installed into /usr/local/bin/, and responds to "$ ruby -v"; but
    when I type only "$ ruby", it hangs. I don't imagine it's properly
    installed.

    I've already got some readline libraries installed, so I'm not sure
    what this one has to do with anything. I know I could likely just grab
    a package from linuxpackages, but I'd prefer to go manual here.

    Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Daniel

    , Dec 12, 2006

  2. Lei Ming Guest

    On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 02:05:05PM +0900, wrote:

    > Ruby installed into /usr/local/bin/, and responds to "$ ruby -v"; but
    > when I type only "$ ruby", it hangs. I don't imagine it's properly

    Are you sure it's really hanging? Maybe it's just waiting for your
    input.

    Type this when it hangs:

    puts 'Hello world!'

    Press <Return> and Ctrl-D. See if it works.

    By the way, since you use Slackware, if you want to compile ruby (or any
    software) from source, I suggest you use checkinstall so uninstalling or
    upgrading will be easier.

    Thanks,
    Lei Ming

    Lei Ming, Dec 12, 2006

    Lei Ming wrote:
    > On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 02:05:05PM +0900, wrote:
    > >
    > > Ruby installed into /usr/local/bin/, and responds to "$ ruby -v"; but
    > > when I type only "$ ruby", it hangs. I don't imagine it's properly

    > Are you sure it's really hanging? Maybe it's just waiting for your
    > input.
    >
    > Type this when it hangs:
    >
    > puts 'Hello world!'
    >
    > Press <Return> and Ctrl-D. See if it works.
    >
    > By the way, since you use Slackware, if you want to compile ruby (or any
    > software) from source, I suggest you use checkinstall so uninstalling or
    > upgrading will be easier.

    I was wondering if that mightn't have been what was going on, but I'm
    not at all familiar with using Ruby. I'm really only motivated to
    install it because I'm installing amaroK. But you're absolutely
    correct!

    This leaves me with the question: is it installed sufficiently well to
    work for that purpose? I'm not really keen on leaving partially
    crippled apps on my machine, but if it's okay for now, it's okay. I'll
    give it a shot.

    And thanks for the checkinstall pointer. I'm looking into it.
    Especially for folks newer to Linux, understanding where things are and
    how to clean an unused software off, or upgrade it effectively, is a
    little daunting. Luckily, it's not the Windows registry.

    Daniel

    , Dec 12, 2006
  4. Lei Ming Guest

    On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 12:00:06AM +0900, wrote:
    > This leaves me with the question: is it installed sufficiently well to
    > work for that purpose? I'm not really keen on leaving partially
    > crippled apps on my machine, but if it's okay for now, it's okay. I'll
    > give it a shot.

    I checked Amarok's documentation. Ruby scripts simply use the command
    line dcop interface to communicate with Amarok, so a basic Ruby
    installation should be sufficiently enough.

    > Daniel

    Be a happy slacker :)

    Lei Ming

    Lei Ming, Dec 14, 2006