Ruport In 10 Minutes (was Looking for thoughts and opinions...)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Gregory Brown, Apr 28, 2007.

  1. On 4/27/07, Lyle Johnson <> wrote:
    > But I guess what
    > I would love to see on that page (or elsewhere) is a really basic,
    > "Ruport in 10 minutes" kind of tutorial, with even a trivial data set,
    > that walks you through the process of generating a report.

    http://rubyreports.org/docs/ruport-in-10.pdf

    This has to be the strangest thing I've ever created.

    To credit the source of the data set and problem, it is from Alice
    Fischer's C++ course at University of New Haven.

    To credit the terrible pacman ghost... I drew it... I hope it doesn't
    cause me to be sued. :p

    Gregory Brown, Apr 28, 2007

  2. Gregory Brown

    Peter Booth Guest

    Gregory,

    If I wanted to create an "enterprise dashboard" that laid out a
    collection of
    tables and charts on a single (web?) page would Ruport be the right
    tool?

    Peter Booth

    On Apr 27, 2007, at 9:28 PM, Gregory Brown wrote:

    > On 4/27/07, Lyle Johnson <> wrote:
    >> But I guess what
    >> I would love to see on that page (or elsewhere) is a really basic,
    >> "Ruport in 10 minutes" kind of tutorial, with even a trivial data
    >> set,
    >> that walks you through the process of generating a report.

    > http://rubyreports.org/docs/ruport-in-10.pdf
    >
    > This has to be the strangest thing I've ever created.
    >
    > To credit the source of the data set and problem, it is from Alice
    > Fischer's C++ course at University of New Haven.
    >
    > To credit the terrible pacman ghost... I drew it... I hope it doesn't
    > cause me to be sued. :p

    Peter Booth

    917 445 5663

    Peter Booth, Apr 28, 2007

  3. On 4/27/07, Peter Booth <> wrote:
    > Gregory,
    >
    > If I wanted to create an "enterprise dashboard" that laid out a
    > collection of
    > tables and charts on a single (web?) page would Ruport be the right
    > tool?

    I'm not sure, really. I do think that Ruport could be helpful for
    that, especially if you're doing a bunch of ActiveRecord stuff.
    acts_as_reportable is pretty good at getting your data into a
    standard, easily manipulatable form, so even if you can't make use of
    our built in formatting support or the tools we have in ruport-util,
    you can still gain something there.

    If you end up needing to talk to a bunch of different libraries to
    build such an app, the biggest thing Ruport does for you is once you
    wrap the libs, you get a standard formatting interface. This gets to
    be really powerful, because it means all your process code stays
    independent of the formatting code.

    That's really the core of Ruport does. It takes disjoint parts and
    mallets them together, and tries to make it easy to do that. There is
    very little it does as a toolset that can't be done without it, but I
    really do see (at least in my own work), the benefits of having a
    structured system to work with.

    The problem you are describing is a super common interest among our
    users. I really wish some of you would get together and build
    something that does this! (Whether it uses Ruport or not.) Once
    things get rolling, I'd be happy to try to help make Ruport a
    comfortable fit for things like this, and support it however I can.

    But to sum it up, Ruport offers a pretty blank canvas to start with,
    so it's not going to make any particular task a dream. It's just
    meant to keep you from having nightmares. :)

    The person to talk to about web based stuff is not me, but Mike
    Milner. He may not be subbed here, but he's active on the Ruport list
    and would be happy to field these kinds of questions.

    warm regards,
    -gregory

    Gregory Brown, Apr 28, 2007